Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

between 2 types of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marson, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I'm in a bit of a dilema i never used these strings before so im asking for help about which strings to choose either the 2 Sets of EXL170-5 D'Addario 5 or the Rotosound RS665LD 5-String 1-Pak, Thanks in advance

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like D'addarios myself.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I really like Rotosounds.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well there you go! Another reason not to ask people on Talkbass for opinions on what to buy. Ask about two different types of strings, you get two different answers.

5. well you can more than two people to answer and i jsut go with the majority.

6. any other suggestions or comments on this?

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    EXL-170 => lower tension, smoother feel, nickel, economical, bright sound for a nickel string, age nicely IMO

Rotosound 66s => higher tension, brigther, rougher to touch, steel, many claim they eat frets faster, IME they lose their bite quickly

I personally like EXL-170s and am paranoid of Roto 66s eating my frets. But many will tell you a bass is a tool and if you dig the sound of Roto 66s, do it.

Dave

8. lower tension does that mean it isnt realy meant for downtuning?

9. Well I got the D'addarios but I'd still like to know what lower tension means ?

10. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Less force needed to pluck the string. If you tune down you may want a higher tension set. Or you may not.

Some will claim they get more punch and fundamental tones from high tension strings.

Others will say lower tension strings have better highes.

I personally like the feel of low tension strings but usually go for a thicker set to get better tone in a band setting. I like XL-170s as a good balance. Others may prefer 160s (50-105) or 165s (45-105). Depends on the bass, the player, the amp, the song, etc.

Dave

11. Thanx thats what i was asking if it meant no dropping tuning.