Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...Between a rock and a Hard Place

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JameelRS, Feb 18, 2006.

1. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    I just sold my 5 string Fender Jazz on ebay. So now I've got this money and I'm caught between two desires. I've really been wanting to get a Schecter Stilleto 4 string and I've also had my eye on two SX basses. I need everyones' opinion on what they would do because it's just way too hard for me to decide. Any input is welcome. (As long as it's not "get all three". 'Cause I ain't got the money for that! :) ):help:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would say take that money to your local shop, play EVERYTHING and try to work a deal. By your signature that sounds like your type of guy.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

I agree with Tim on this.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Me too.

-Mark

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I agree with Tim, but let me put in my 2 cents. I've never played a Schecter so I can't say much in that category. But I don't think you could go wrong with an SX. I'm not a name guy. I don't care what's on my basses headstock just as long as it gives me the sound I need. what I have found with my SX is the bass is so inexpensive (Not cheap) that you could buy a decent Jazz and Precision bass from rondomusic and still come out under what you would pay for a (one) MIM.
    As far as SX quality. My jazz instructor is a hardass on tone. A fellow bassplayer's MIA jazz bass didn't make the cut just because of the tone. He had to go out and buy a new bass to participate. My SX right out of the box made it. Please don't think i'm saying the SX is better than a MIA. I'm saying that SX's are no joke! :)

6. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    That's what I originally did. And now I've decided on the Schecter or the SX's and I don't know which to get.