Between MM and Geddy Lee models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm seriously considering getting either the Marcus Miller signature jazz or the Geddy Lee one. I play jazz and funk and I'll be joining a progressive rock band. I like versatility and nice punch. I love a good slap sound and already know the MM has that but I don't really know how the Geddy Lee is for slap. How do these two basses differ compared side to side?
  2. the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    I think the Geddy Lee would be best suited for a prog band. The MM is a very good bass for jazz funk...but it's sound isn't so versatile and it has it's onw distinctive sound (Marcus Millers's sound).
    Also, the Geddy Lee has a maple fretboard, wich should give you a nice bright slap sound.

My pick:Geddy Lee
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I haven't tried the MM for slap. But I'm a huge Marcus Miller fan! When playing some MM songs the tone is spot on. Try a onboard or out board preamp if you really want all the versatility that the marcus bass has. However I only use an outboard preamp for slap.

I may check into another preamp later on but for now it is suiting me nicely.
  4. They are relatively the same bass.

You will have to decide which one suits you best!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Geddy Lee has a very different neck profile. If you dislike narrow necks with very thin profiles, you may not like it. My Geddy Lee, strung with DR Lo Riders is a slap machine!
  6. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    Marcus Miller bass for sure, i was actually playing one earlier(my friend has one) it too has a maple neck. Its a slap MONSTER. If you are dropping any funk then i reccomend the MM, although you said you joined a prog rock band, and rush is prog rock.

my vote goes to the Marcus Miller. or

just get a stingray ;)