Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Between the Buried and Me

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zirc, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well I used to hate them. I thought they were too thrashy and what-not, but now I think they're good in certain situations.

ESPECIALLY after seeing the lyrics. Oh my GOD Tom can write! These lyrics are simply amazing. The music is a tad bit chaotic, but the slow breakdowns and lyrics are so incredible. I don't tell people about bad music, so check them out:

http://betweentheburiedandme.com/newsite/

2. If you're up for the drive, they're headlining a two day metal festival here. Should be fun.

www.texasmurderfest.com

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've actually seen them live with my drummer friend. He loves them.

It was so good at the end of the show when he was talking to the band he was like:

"Do you guys use tabit or any kind of tabbing software?"
    "Kind of, we use powertab sometimes..."
    "Awesome, I've been tabbing your songs and I'm almost done with Mordecai"
    Then the guitarist yells from the background
    "I bet they're pretty f***ing wrong!"
    and my drummer yells
    "They're pretty f***ing close!"

He says the funniest stuff sometimes. Telling his favorite band he's tabbing their songs hahahaa.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They are a brilliant band. I see them as the next generation's Cryptopsy, really.

I'm waiting for them to come to town, and then I throw down, metal style.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -having given this another try, I say thumbs up.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    See how damn right I am?

Your next mission is Watch Them Die (eponymous)

7. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i always liked this band, i think the bass player is amazing seeing him live he does more improv at times which is cool. the only down side is there a little boring live but if yuo like just watching bands play there an awesome band to see.

8. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I think Blisshead should listen to me since I like Opeth and not particularly 36 Crazyfists. ;)

I love BTBM. They are a huge influence on when I attempt write and arrange music. Only song of their's which I disliked was Shevanel Pt. 2.

Anyone else get a Nintendo vibe from the intro to Aesthetic?

I don't quite see the similarity with Cryptopsy though :eyebrow: .

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Never said they were similar. But much like Cryptopsy did, they raised the damn bar, again. Where Cryptopsy just made speed it's bitch, BTBM sorta flips it and takes heaviness to new heights. Yeah, this is IMHO. If you don't like it, go listen to your weenie metal. Opeth indeed...

Though, Mike DiSalvo does sound a bit like Tommy Rogers. Rogers enunciates much more, but the timber and overal quality is similar.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You like Vaseline on toast, and you know I ain't wrong about Watch Them Die.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll check out Watch them Die.

12. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Much harshness on the weenie metal...Making me want to go emo and hide in a corner.
    Agreed with raising the bar.
    I always understood Mike but hardly ever Tommy. But now that Lord Worm is returning, BBTBAM clearly gets the edge on enunciation.
    I was just really impressed when I found out that their first album was essentially recorded live in a basement. Props to the band and the engineer.

13. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The bassist is pretty neat. Plays a nice warwick (6 string I wanna say) with the 3 finger thump, but sadly you can never ever hear him.

The Aesthetic intro is one of my favorite parts on the cd. Along with the clean parts of Mordecai and AD A DGLGMUT.

But seriously, the lyrics are genius.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lord Worm, ugh. I hate his vocals. Just loath them.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They're okay. Nothing amazing, but not terrible.

16. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Uhhh... have you read Camilla Rhodes? Have you seen Mulholland Drive? (sp?)

Heh nothing amazing is just simply unacceptable haha.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've also got an incredibly high standard of lyrics. I've inflicted several people in this thread to precisely why.

18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I guess, but I've never heard of any of the bands you've mentioned above. I also dispise metal, so that might make it a bit difficult.

19. You guys need to listen to Tommy's other bands also, like FROM HERE ON! Dual vocalist craziness. Memebers of my band have grown up with the N.C. music scene and have played with these guys alot in various bands. But anyone in the area of charleston check out the show on friday the 13th. MArtyr AD and BTBAM, we open up for them and its gonna be a throwdown fest. Jamie King is the basement engineer for almost every band outta N.C. and did almost every tribunal indie record. Also check out prayer for Cleansing....brutal brutal...Tommy rips on this and he plays guitar!

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There we go.