Bevy of T40's up on the 'Bay, or an MM/J type for less than $250!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Mar 2, 2006.

1. I had to share. If y'all aren't familiar with this model of bass, its is truly an exemplary instrument, and set up properly, rivals most basses under $1000 at any store....

I just bought a black on blonde one for $165 SHIPPED! Going to pick it up from the luthiers today. IT'll SMOKE!!

My local teacher wants one of my T40's. He plays a G&L and 71 P, and the T40 hangs with that company with ease.

Guess I's alsways thinkin' like a "poo boy, cause I's likes $200 basses that murder $1200 rigs.... great ROCK bass

Here's the best of the bunch IMHO.... btw, the colored bodies are lighter than the natural oak ones. The oak ones WEIGH!

anyway, I like this one...

I threw in a silly bid for $100, but frankly, the Mrs. would grill my arse if I bought another one.....

Do an Ebay search on T40.... trust me, these are great players! 3 up there now..... you'll buy this as a $200 "beater gig bass" and it'll replace your others! Man, if they made a 5 string, I'd be in nirvana!
  2. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Amen to that!

I have a T-40 myself. It weighs a ton, but it rocks with the best of them. Plus, it's so rock-solid that almost anything that could go wrong can be fixed cheaply by a decent luthier.

The guy I work with is a genius and he makes my T-40 sing!
  3. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I bought a T-40 back when they first came out. Still one of my favorite basses. It truely was a revolutionary bass, just never caught on anywhere but the country scene for some unkown reason. Mine:

4. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    I had one back in the early '80's and it was really heavy. I wasn't that hooked on the sound it made but it sure was well put together.
  5. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I imagine that there is a volume and tone control for each pickup, but what do the two switches do? coil-switching?

That would one good looking Darkstar Project bass.
  6. The upper is just a three way pickup switch, the lower is a phase switch. The tone controls are where the action is at. Dial up to 10 and you get a growlysingle coil jazz, move the tones down to 5-6 and you break into humbucking ( dual coil) territory and get a MM type growl.

Sometimes I just use the bridge pickup and use a really growly jazz sound.

Only trouble I;ve found is the one piece maple necks. Even when set up by a pro ( with frets dressed) I can;t get it down as low as my Lakland. ( and the 5 string is ruling the music my band plays ).

THe luthier thinks that , possibly, the rosewood boards might survive the test of time better than the one piece maples.