Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bevy of T40's up on the 'Bay, or an MM/J type for less than $250!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Mar 2, 2006.

1. I had to share. If y'all aren't familiar with this model of bass, its is truly an exemplary instrument, and set up properly, rivals most basses under $1000 at any store....

I just bought a black on blonde one for $165 SHIPPED! Going to pick it up from the luthiers today. IT'll SMOKE!!

My local teacher wants one of my T40's. He plays a G&L and 71 P, and the T40 hangs with that company with ease.

Guess I's alsways thinkin' like a "poo boy, cause I's likes $200 basses that murder $1200 rigs.... great ROCK bass

Here's the best of the bunch IMHO.... btw, the colored bodies are lighter than the natural oak ones. The oak ones WEIGH!

anyway, I like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7395023316&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEBI:IT&rd=1

I threw in a silly bid for $100, but frankly, the Mrs. would grill my arse if I bought another one.....

Do an Ebay search on T40.... trust me, these are great players! 3 up there now..... you'll buy this as a $200 "beater gig bass" and it'll replace your others! Man, if they made a 5 string, I'd be in nirvana!

2. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Amen to that!

I have a T-40 myself. It weighs a ton, but it rocks with the best of them. Plus, it's so rock-solid that almost anything that could go wrong can be fixed cheaply by a decent luthier.

The guy I work with is a genius and he makes my T-40 sing!

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I bought a T-40 back when they first came out. Still one of my favorite basses. It truely was a revolutionary bass, just never caught on anywhere but the country scene for some unkown reason. Mine:

[​IMG]

4. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I had one back in the early '80's and it was really heavy. I wasn't that hooked on the sound it made but it sure was well put together.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I imagine that there is a volume and tone control for each pickup, but what do the two switches do? coil-switching?

That would one good looking Darkstar Project bass.

6. The upper is just a three way pickup switch, the lower is a phase switch. The tone controls are where the action is at. Dial up to 10 and you get a growlysingle coil jazz, move the tones down to 5-6 and you break into humbucking ( dual coil) territory and get a MM type growl.

Sometimes I just use the bridge pickup and use a really growly jazz sound.

Only trouble I;ve found is the one piece maple necks. Even when set up by a pro ( with frets dressed) I can;t get it down as low as my Lakland. ( and the 5 string is ruling the music my band plays ).

THe luthier thinks that , possibly, the rosewood boards might survive the test of time better than the one piece maples.