1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEWARE. Chain Reaction in Anaheim. BEWARE.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gismo, Mar 8, 2008.

1. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    I had a gig on Thursday night at Chain Reaction in Anaheim. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. It's supposed to be one of the better OC venues around.

Sound guy knocked over my rig. 75 pounds of head, power conditioner, and road ready came crashing to the ground. All while I was outside, entrusting my equipment in the care (or carelessness) of the venue. The idiot wasn't even man enough to tell me about it. Luckily (I suppose) my case protected the head, and it seemed my rig struck the back of the first band's bass rig. It smashed the back of their head, and ruined the cab's left input. I guess their rig took most of the fall. The only major damage sustained to my setup was a busted dimmer knob on my furman (still works though) and a noticeable but small dent on the case. Thank goodness for Road Ready, it's built like a tank!

I called Chain Reaction about this, the guy was a prick (Tim). He told me that Chain Reaction wasn't responsible for this. The hell they aren't...their incompetent sound guy knocked over my rig. On top of that, he stuck a mic in front of my guitarist's cab 6 inches away and right in the middle of it. Genius! Right where there are no speakers, moron. I'll never play there again.

Keep an eye on your stuff fellas. I don't care how professional the venue is. Avoid Chain Reaction, they could care less about hard-working musicians like us.

2. Hmm I think a good resource for musicians would be a web page where problem venues and such are listed... So when someone is looking to get a show someplace or is asked to play at a venue they are unfamiliar with, they could look it up on such a web page and see what other performers had to say about it.

3. Do they have those sort of websites? That sounds really useful.

And OP, that totally sucks, but hopefully the way they treated you will come around and bite them in the ass when they start hearing complaints from musicians. Hope other places treat ya better.

4. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Wow...that's a bummer. You're right, they are considered one of the premier venues around...not just in the OC but in Southern California.

I've been in contact with one of the guy's that books for them (Andy I think) and the thing that sucks for my band is for us the Chain Reaction would be a pay-to-play gig. We're a San Diego band with little if any following in the greater Los Angeles area (let alone just the OC). They wanted us to play at some bar first (I forget what it was called, but they acted like it was their Junior Circuit venue) before we could play at the Chain...even playing at that bar would've cost us time, gas, etc. (they wanted us to play on like a Tuesday...so I'd have to miss some work probably) and since there's no way we would've managed to sell all (if any) of the pre-sale tickets, it probably would've cost us somewhere around $400...

that's just too much for a band of guys not looking to get famous.

5. RateMyVenue.com? haha that would be nice. Ive been to the Chain Reaction plenty of times, though I have never played there and I agree with you 100%. The guys who work there are just jerks. I dont ever plan on playing there.

6. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I've played there once and the experience was fairly pleasant.

Make that twice. The first time was when I was in highschool and dumb enough to do pay to play in a different band. Last time I was there we played a pretty decent show around Christmas.

7. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    You know, when I got home that night I seriously considered posting a myspace bulletin. I finally decided that it would be unprofessional and I also didn't want any negative attention directed toward my band.

I would love to create a website like that. It would be quite useful; maybe even make venues think twice about how they treat the ones who make them rich (us).

thesteve-Avoid Chain Reaction at all costs. If you and your band decide to do a pay-to-play gig, do it at the Roxy in Hollywood. The Key Club isn't bad either but the Roxy's got history. They've got attentive and knowledgeable sound guys. I must admit however, the bar is undesirable. I'd avoid the Whiskey if you book it through M Productions (I think they primarily deal with metal bands). They cram as many bands as they can in there and deny sound checks, only line checks (sound guy was also an imbecile). Wasn't he condescending? That's what I got from Tim. I wonder what they've got crammed up their rears. I wanted to punch the guy in the face through the phone, moron. If you want to do an OC show, give Hogue Barmichaels in Newport Beach a call.

The booking agent finally called me back yesterday, I lost count of how many times he apologized to me. He seemed sincere and said he'll talk to the venue about compensating me for the damage. I'm not sure how successful he'll be but it's reassuring to know that he's going to try.

I just hate how a lot of bands out there get mistreated. It's really disconcerting. We put a lot of time and money into this. We all suffer our fair share of hardship just to get to where we want to be. Sometimes I can't stand the nasty people we have to deal with just to get there.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Two words: Police Report

Someone damages your property, they need to pay.

If it were outside the club, and someone trashed your gear, you would have called the cops, right? Since INSIDE the club, they've chosen to be COMPLETE WANKERS, I'd have called the cops. You should STILL file a report ASAP.

9. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Hogue Barmichaels...that was the name of the place I was told was like Chain Reaction Jr. (the vibe I got...not actual words) when I was talking to the booking guy for the Chain...do they also do their own booking?

10. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    One thing you need to be careful about is getting your band black listed in other clubs. So you can't really push but so hard. The Chain Reaction should have Venue Insurance that covers things like this. They are just jerking you around because they do not want their rates to go up. What would have been worse is if someone was standing behind your amp when it fell.

Go punch one of your buddies in the head and tell them the equipment fell on him. :D Just Kidding..... Maybe, lol.

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    ...I suppose you could find out who their insurer is, and file a claim directly with THEM.

I'd honestly mention terms like "possible actions" and "police involvement" should they choose to ignore your request.

Screw fearing "blacklisting"...that's BS. This club's employee damaged your gear. Uncompensated, that amounts to a criminal act. Blacklist YOU for someone else's actions? If it were me, I'd start such a campaign of "blacklisting" the club so badly on the Internet, that it would make their heads spin.

12. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Just some words to clarify. Chain Reaction is a club that has MANY soundguys working there at any given week. Sometimes individual booking agents have their own soundguy as they rent the room out for their "showcases." So, you are dealing with quite a few people who are yoinking your chain around. (Pardon the pun.)

The company that owns CR also has it's hands deep in many other clubs/bars/and booking agencies in the Orange County and Los Angeles County area. So, get your compensation if you feel it's necessary, but I would highly recommend against trash talking them online if you would like to play the area again.

13. To play devil's advocate...

You weren't taking care of your equipment. You were outside.

14. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA

If he was standing there, he would have been standing there watching his equipment get knocked over.. Gimme a break.
    Anyone that has played a multiple band venue knows it's impossible to stand on stage guarding your equipment all night.:spit:

15. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    You know, Hogue Barmichaels has been pretty good to musicians, they have way better sound. Try booking the show through them, go to their website and ask them who's in charge of booking.

You know, I thought about that, I'm pretty sure Chain Reaction hired the sound guy. The booking agent had to ask one of the employees to ask the sound guy if we could sound check (and that was a no). I'm sure there are a few people involved in jerking me around, I don't know how many at this point.

I'm not really afraid of blacklisting. We've got a good deal of support from signed acts, there's no way they would want to blacklist what would be the whole metal community, HAHA. The singer's got a lot friends in high places I suppose. We just recently got a new drummer and we're making our way up the ladder again. I just don't want people to think that we're out to make trouble.

I can file a police report?? This late?

Golden boy - that was a valiant effort. So, precisely what sssmmike said. I would just be painfully witnessing the event. I should just incorporate barbed wire on my rig to keep any wrongdoers from harming it.

How could I find out about who insures them?

16. Again, for the sake of argument-

You weren't there, you were outside. Your amp was uncovered- it was on stage...

'Round these parts, the only gear on stage belongs to the band playing. The last time I played a club in the LA area was at the Dragonfly around 5 years ago. Our stuff was off the stage until it was time for us to play. You mentioned a Fuhrman- so I'm assuming your head was racked- but to get damaged, the rack covers must've been off.

I don't know where I sit on this- I'm just throwing out some of what the sound dude and the bar is going to throw back at you.

I don't think you'll get too far, **** happens.

The other thing to think of, 'round these parts, the sound companies own the PAs and the sound guys are the employees of the sound company- not the bar. Don't know about LA.

17. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    In SoCal it really varies venue to venue based on the size of the stage. I've played some places where we loaded our amps/drums etc. from off-stage right before we went on and other places where they wanted to set up a back line of amps so everything was on stage in the order they were going to get used.

18. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    Obviously in this case there was more than one bands equipment on stage. Did you read the original post? His equipment went crashing into another bands equipment. You can't possibly expect the OP to have been standing on stage with his equipment while another band is setting up. Nonsense! That's just not how it works.

Let's say a band destroys a monitor, a mic or whatever while on stage.. should the sound guy be up on stage protecting his equipment?

Truth is, the OP probably won't get anywhere with this dispute and should probably just bite the bullet and fix his equipment... It sucks... I've been in a similar situation and had to replace my amp without any compensation. "**** happens" is right.

IF that buffoon sound guy had any conscious he would know (and feel) he's liable for the damage he caused. But that's just not how it works. :scowl:

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Definitely sounds like a place to stay away from!

20. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    sssmmike, you're probably right. I won't get anywhere with this. From now on I'll make it a point to keep my rig with me until it's time to go up, even if they need to stack up every band's equipment. They can take my cab, they'll probably have to pry the road ready from my kung fu grip. Unfortunately, here in LA, we all have to play gigs where stacking-up is required.

If I ever see that sound guy again, I'll probably beat him senseless. Tell you what fellas, I have learned one thing. Furman is the s***! No joke, If you guys ever need a part from them, call and dial 0, and ask for Rob in technical support. Him, and only him. He's awesome, he's sending me the knob for free.