Beware - eBay basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just wanted to let some of you know that there is a seller on eBay selling basses from out of Toronto. She has sold basses under four different eBay IDs and most recently I saw a bass that was listed there and I was quite sure it was the same person because the style of the listing looked very similar to the ones before.

I went to her apartment in Toronto about six months to check out some of her basses and she also had a cello there too. The ones I saw were terribly setup and very, very new and definitely not worth what they were being sold for. The one she is selling now is about half of the price of the other basses so it may well still be a reasonable deal.

At the time I had visited, she had changed eBay IDs once that I knew of but explained it away with some story. However since then I noticed she has changed eBay IDs twice more. With her latest listing on eBay, I e-mailed her and asked her directly if she was who I suspected she was - a young girl named Rita Paradi whose grandfather in Hungary owned a violin store and had recently passed away. She replied and said that she was someone else - Monika and that it was her ex-husband's bass - he was a jazz player.

However when I then told someone else about the bass, she e-mailed him back and said the bass was from her grandfather in Hungary who owned a violin store.

For anyone contemplating one of these basses, remember that it would be crazy to buy a bass before checking it out in person and knowing enough about the instruments to know what you're paying for. Regardless, there is something suspicious going on when this person is switching eBay IDs constantly and giving different stories out to people.

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks Adrian.

Rule a thumb, always play before you pay.