Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beware of "cam109".. a TalkBass scammer!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you are considering any dealings with TBer cam109, exercise extreme caution. I believe he is a scammer.

I listed a want ad for a ampeg pb-110 in the TB classified section. I got an email thru talkbass from "cam109". He says he has said cab and will sell it to me for $60us(initially he said $600 then said it was a typo when I pointed out $600 is way too much), which is a very low price. Reason #1 why I am suspicious. Then he says he lives in Europe, but he will pay ALL shipping charges as long as I pay with western union and pay for the cost of the western union transaction. If he pays the shipping costs on a 20lb cab, 25lb once packed, how is he making any money on this? Reason #2 why I am suspicious. I then checked his profile on TB and see that he just joined as a registered member the day I got his first email and has 0 posts. Reason #3. I asked him the condition of the cab and if it was driven hard.. no reply to that question. I pointed out that if he is to pay for shipping he isnt making much profit. Then suddenly he says oh I work for the post office so i can ship it for free. yeah right. A 25lb package from Europe is going to cost way more than his $60 asking price.

I asked him a number of questions (such as where is the tweeter control located) he ignored all of them. I asked for a picture. He ignored my request.

This doesnt seem like a typical scam because he is signalling me out (not a typical spam scam) and the value is very low at $60. Plus he is going thru TB.

In the beginning I was excited about getting a great deal, but when he asked to be paid thru western union little alarms went off in my head. Western union is a very common method scammers use. Its then that I started asking him lots of questions and have had my suspicions justified.

So I just wanted to let my fellow TBers know about this guy before someone gets ripped off. Also, maybe he should be banned? Of course, that's up to the moderators.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    From where in Europe is he?

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Vorago will beat it out of him for ya

Take No Crap!

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hellyeah *crosses arms showing his massiv muscles*

:ninja:

Seriously, where's he from? I've had some business with some TB dude in the past who claimed to know me..

5. These types of responses hit the for sale section of Steel Guitar Forum about a year ago. We didn't get much response to questions about copedants or LKL, :p
    There may be something Paul can do to limit the impact. You might want to put a note in his section.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have no idea where he is from. My gut instinct tells me Italy by his speech patterns, but I could be wrong.

Good idea about posting a link to this in Paul's Shack.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I doubt he's accuratly filled out his profile. Maybe we can pry Jive's A.S.S. and S.H.I.T. away from his never ending search for the Qintar and have him track down this looser.

Either that or we could all P.M. him with some disparaging remarks about his mother.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

did somebody mention someone we know? :ninja:

Whatever happened to this clown did he go away?

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Thor, are you just searching for the word Qintar now??

Kind of like how criminals always return to the scene of the crime, eh?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In order for someone here to get ripped off by this guy, you'd have to be stupider than him. That doesn't seem possible (with few exceptions, not to mention names).

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Veganbass please report this to the moderator of the appropriate forum. I predict a perma-ban for this member.

12. So YOU'RE the Qintar...

:eek:

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    this an older thread that has been 'resurrected'. i posted about this member in paul's shack a couple months ago. dont know if anything was ever done about it. havent seen cam109 around TB since the incident.

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks, I have my examples ;)

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It looks like this cam109 user account is gone.
    Someone must have deleted it.