Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beware of EBATES!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Diggler, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    <RANT ON>

In December 2005, I bought three of the Peavey Fury 6 string basses for $199 shipped from Musicians Friend, and even added some other stuff onto one of my orders. I had been using Ebates before and never had any trouble, so I was excited to see that they were offering 12% back from Ebates if you logged in and clicked through the link to get to Musicians Friend. I have copies of my ebates tracking number, copies of the invoices, everything. That means I should have gotten each bass for about $175 shipped, plus a discount on the rest of the items ordered.

I never got credited by Ebates. I emailed them with the info they needed to make an investigation into it, they took their time with it, and just got this email:

Now, even IF they said that the bass purchases were ineligible because they were on clearance, I should at least get the rest of my order, bought at regular price, rebated. Here's what their site says:

Also, they have a list of stores that have specific exclusions, Musicians Friend was not one of them. Now, Musicians Friend is not listed on their website at all. Did Musicians Friend refuse to honor their rebate agreement? Is Ebates keeping it for themselves? Who knows. But I won't trust either one of them again. Especially Ebates. Do NOT figure Ebate rebates into your purchasing decision, because there is no guarantee that you will get them, especially on big orders. If you're saving $5 on flowers or something, they may be OK... but not with big ticket items.

Don't get me wrong, the basses were a great deal without the ebates promise. But it ticks me off when I get ripped off for over $75.

Has anyone else been ripped off by Ebates and their affiliates?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Are you still ranting, or did you forget the <RANT OFF>?? :D

Anyways, no I have not. I don't even know what Ebates is.

-Mike

3. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I'm still ranting. It's just offline now.

</RANT>

OK, ebates is one of those sites where you sign up and get a commission by clicking through them to shop through their affiliates. For example, if you want to buy something from Buy.com, you could buy it for $20 from the buy.com site directly, or click through Ebates and buy it for $20 and get a rebate back from Ebates. So if the buy.com rebate is 2%, your ebates account gets credited $.40. After your account gets a certain balance they send you a 'big fat check' for that amount. So you can save money that you normally can't save any other way.

<RANT BACK ON>

Unless they rip you off.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ahhhh. FatWallet is like that. I looked into those things a few times, but it just never seemed worth the hassle. I noticed when I wanted to buy something, it was rarely from a store I wanted to shop at online.

My new thing is shopping with a CC that gives me airline miles. My wife and I are racking up the free airline tickets. We shop online with the CC, buy our gas and groceries with it and so on. At the end of the month, we send one payment to the CC and it's done. Not a new concept overall, just new to my wife and I.

-Mike

5. Neither do I:rolleyes:

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've used ebates. I"ve made 4 purchases "through" their site since signing up, and got credited with the rebate for 3 of them. They way I look at it, it is just gravy. If you get the money, great, if you don't, well, you're not really out anything. They just put $14 in my paypal account a few days ago.

7. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I try to look at it that way too, but when they legitimately owe me over $75, it's a little hard to swallow.

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Update:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I wrote a lengthy email detailing how I fufilled everything to get the rebates, and noted that I would be contacting the BBB and the appropriate Attorney General's offices. Within an hour or two, the customer service representative's manager emailed me to notify my that they credited my account 2/3 of the amount. It's not quite what I had coming to me, but it's more than I was getting yesterday.