1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beware of kalium music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dickwagor, Oct 9, 2019.

1. I got burned. i had ordered strings successfully once and went for a quake bass build. boy did i get burned. here is my reddit i just did:

I tried ordering a quake bass from kalium music. Premium, Extended Range, Bass Guitar Strings | Kalium MusicI am 6'8" and wanted an ultralong scale bass as I frequently double on upright and thought it would match my overall vibe. After the bass wasn't delivered in TWICE the promised time, Skip told me about health problems . he has the $1000 of my deposit that he won't give me back until he sells the bass that I cancelled buying after twice the said build time had elapsed in april. By July he had not posted it for sale on either the website or the facebook page. I posted it and he did copy the post and share it on the facebook page. Never has posted on website and said that costs money. How much money does it cost to have potential customers spreading the word that he doesn't hold up his end of the build process. I can't get my money back until the bass sells and he won't advertise it. highly frustrating and bad business practice

here is the whole reddit thread:

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Sorry to hear of your crappy deal.

This story - and all others like it on TB - makes it very unlikely for me to make an advance deposit on any instrument build. Or at least insist on conditions for a full refund before signing on the dotted line. Been through this with supposedly reputable contractors as well. Never again.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019

3. Yeah, i was one of the people who actually got strings in a timely manner when i ordered which is too bad in a way. gave me no clue as to the BS that was about to catch up with me

EatS1stBassist and DirtDog like this.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Damn. Sorry to hear this. I know we discussed some options when you were first looking at these and I also know that you were interested for ergonomics/health reasons as well.

5. yeah - i contacted payson today because i like pbasses and his fanned fret pbass with flats might be up my alley. we may talk more about dingwalls at some point too, but for the moment i built a tele bass that balances in a way that it has helped some of my issues

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    We can probably find someone in your area with one to try out, either a long scale or a shorter one if/when you get to that point. Payson is solid. I've never heard of anyone with problems on the business side of things. I've had occasion to try out some of his strings, though apparently string buying isn't a great indicator...

7. right on

8. Hopefully you can get it sorted. Did you try putting anything on Facebook or did he just delete it?

9. i did earlier in the year and he almost acted like he was going to do something, but never advertised the bass on his web page. The only thing he did was copy my post to the facebook page that I did on my own. I emailed him 5 days ago with no response and largely I had let go of all this, but when I looked on his website today and couldn't find anything that said he had an in stock bass, I felt i had to do something.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is there any reason to believe that the bass has been completed?

The timeline is not clear to me. When did you order the bass?

11. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    So how does this guy justify keeping your depost and holding you on the line till he sells the bass he couldn't deliver? I just don't get this type of activity, and thinking its ok. So lame, honestly, i think his basses are ugly, LOL

GregC, tommyr01 and Captain Chaos like this.
  12. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Take him to small claims court?

EatS1stBassist and Quinn Roberts like this.
  13. i ordered the bass last July, that is July 2018. i was told the bass would be done in 16 weeks or sooner. At 35 weeks i pulled the plug, and now almost 16 months after my initial deposit, and 7 months after i cancelled my order, there is no mention of the bass he claims is finished being for sale on the website. I have never actually seen a picture of the finished bass

PlatoFunFactory likes this.
  14. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Is there such thing as a performance bond on boutique insturments? The stories I read about on here have totally removed me from the "builders" market.

15. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    That's what sucks about issues like these - it negatively impacts the reputation of an already niche market. And there are luthiers with hundreds of instruments under their belt and an immaculate reputation. It's a shame.

I wish you luck OP! Chiming in from Reddit.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  16. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I see that Skip is consistent. :rollno:

Bassheart365 likes this.
  17. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Kind of hard to take a builder seriously when you see this kind of stuff on their site LOL ...

716AC26F-9F54-4A42-966A-A730C6E48217.

18. How did you pay your deposit?

Skillet likes this.
  19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

It sounds like this "Skip" goofball is a real piece of work.

Thanks for posting. It is important that the bass community be made aware of rip off artists. :thumbsup:

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Usually they spend the deposit on something else, counting on other order coming in to cover the costs of the original bass. Orders slow down or stop and then, justification aside, simply can't pay to have the bass finished or whatever. Small luthiers aren't always great business people. In the effects world, there is more leeway and it happened less due to lower costs involved and quicker build times.

gebass6, Adam Wright, pcake and 2 others like this.