1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beware of kalium music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dickwagor, Oct 9, 2019.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    See the SGD Pickups thread to see how things work out with a business that relies on selling the first product to secure funds to build a second product, then relying on building and selling a third product to refund the returns of the first two products.

2. There are lots of 'custom builders' out there who have any number of varying policies regarding monies to start / finish / deliver a bass, it's all over the map.

Before you get into one of these 'builds', be smart and check on how they do business !! Are they reliable, been in business for quite a while, established a good track record and reputation, all the questions we'd all ask before any kind of expensive spend. This isn't the first thread here in the TB about monies lost, screwball dealings with the so-called company (or individual), indefinitely creeping delivery times, etc., and unfortunately probably won't be the last. Make sure you're on a reliable track to receive a finished instrument, not two miles of blue sky and BS.

I ordered my custom from Alembic, paid in full up front, full well expecting roughly a year-from-now delivery, and I received it in eleven months, just as I expected, with no worries the money vanished or I'd be left holding a bag. Of course there are other reputable builders out there, and I'd sure stick with known than throw my credit or debit card at a fancy internet site that will deliver pretty pictures, and not much else . . . . . Do Your Homework.

DW, sorry about your difficulties with Kallium, and hope it resolves good for you.

GregC and mikewalker like this.
  3. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Is this the guy with the mustache?

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Nope, that’s Chris.

He’s no longer involved with the company as far as I know.

vegas532 and flojob like this.
  5. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Thanks for alerting everyone to beware of this company.

6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Skip is a really nice guy, but it seems like he really isn’t really good at business.

Sorry to hear.

catcauphonic likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Ghosting a customer with a legitimate complaint isn’t being “a really nice guy” no matter how else you may want to characterize it.

gebass6, Mike Whitfield, JGR and 8 others like this.
  8. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might want to reread the OP: he hasn’t been “ghosted” at all, though he’s definitely not doing the right thing.

If I were the OP I would have gotten my credit card company to issue a chargeback awhile ago.

Skip is a really nice guy: he also happens to be inconsistent at best, and awful at worst, with his customers.

There’s a reason I don’t use his strings anymore: it’s a shame, they are really great strings.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Might want to heed your own advice.

Five days with no response to an email about a known customer satisfaction issue that requires no investigation is inexcusable. That’s putting your head in the sand plain and simple.

I rest my case:

iunno and Mike Whitfield like this.
  10. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I only read the OP, missed that post.

As I said, if I was the OP I would have let my credit card company handle this months ago.

If you’re suggesting that nice people don’t occasionally make mistakes and do the wrong things, we simply don’t agree.

Cheers.

MattZilla and thetragichero like this.
  11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup. I was a Circle-K / Kalium advocate for awhile. Then some grumblings started about string orders being slow. Then "slow" turned into months for some. Artists and friends always got theirs pretty quickly, but, eventually, my order times turned a good bit slow. Unfortunate, as they are great strings... Skip just needs someone else to run the business part of it.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m a very forgiving person as long as somebody is upfront with me about their issues. Most times I’m even pretty forgiving when they aren’t. I’m not a hardass.

When I ran my own business I had clients who sometimes ran into issues beyond their control. And I always worked with them to get matters resolved in a way that was acceptable to both of us - including once writing off several thousand dollars owed me by one client with lousy medical coverage who‘s wife had developed very serious health issues. He was an honorable person who took his obligations very seriously. He called me to explain the situation and say he wasn’t going to be able to keep his account current for the foreseeable future but had every intention of eventually paying me “somehow someway.” I figured the last thing he needed with all he was going through was to have to worry about the money his company owed my company. So I credited out his entire balance because my personal sense of morality told me it was the right thing to do. Which is one of the three real reasons for doing anything as far as I’m concerned.

And I do understand mistakes, having made my share over the years. But a ‘mistake’ depends a lot on how you define a mistake. To me a mistake is something that happened due to circumstances completely beyond your control, or due to a one-time bad judgement call on your part.

Allowing a situation to continue for over a year without even a partial resolution, or a frank discussion with the other party about what the real problem you’re having is, takes it out of the realm of honest mistakes and strays into evasion of responsibility territory. Which is why honest open communication is so important. Especially when there’s a problem.

Or so I think anyway. ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  13. Llewellen

Llewellen Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    What? What? Really nice at what? Refusing to deliver and refusing to refund is not inconsistent or awful, it's unlawful.

14. Llewellen

Dec 23, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    This reminds me of something that Miles Davis is reputed to have said. Any particular note isn't necessarily a wrong note. It's the note that comes after that defines it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. As one jazz teacher I had early on put it, one wrong note is a mistake. But if you immediately hit the exact same note a second time it now means you meant it and are just stretching out a bit with your solo. :laugh:

GlenParks and Craig T Vector like this.
  16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Skip and I share a lot of mutual friends: in my experience he goes out of his way to help out friends and is a kind person.

Skip is also 100% in the wrong here and has done the wrong thing with more than a few of his customers, but moral posturing by people who literally have nothing to do with this situation doesn’t serve any purpose.

Again, this is clearly an issue for the credit card company and was months ago: I empathize with the OP’s situation, and don’t do business with Skip anymore myself.

Have a nice night ya’ll.

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree with everything you said here.

Your personal morality told you that absolving your client’s debt was the right thing to do because of his health issues.

That’s a standup move.

But Skip’s outstanding debt due to health issues (including taking longer than 5 days to respond to an issue that’s been going on for a year) makes you judge him a bad person?

That doesn’t make sense in light of the precedent with your client.

I’m not looking for an explanation really, just pointing out the logical inconsistency between the two situations.

Cheers.

18. Llewellen

Dec 23, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    Has he been in a coma for over a year?

gebass6, JeroB666 and 40Hz like this.
  19. That's a Ponzi Scheme, not a business model.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That can't be right, surely?
    He defaulted on a contract twice and now wants you to wait until he gets the money for the bass, something he is not putting any efort into?!
    I'd have a lawyer give him a call.