1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beware of kalium music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dickwagor, Oct 9, 2019.

1. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Not really.

MDBass and BurningSkies like this.
  2. Using funds from new orders for other purposes or to pay for older orders is the definition of a Ponzi scheme, although they are typically investment vs product based. The concept is the same.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, there is a difference. Intent.

Running a Ponzi scheme is a conscious decision to defraud. This guy sounds like he has got himself into difficulty and is making desperate choices.

I understand that the results may be similar, but I am sure the Courts would handle sentencing differently.

MDBass and BigBassBob like this.
  4. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    This is painful to watch :rollno:

gunai, bass40hz and usernamev19 like this.
  5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    ok

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I know the OP and while I'm not friends with Skip, I obviously travel in circles where he's part of the friendships and industry and I've had a few contacts here and there. I'd rather speak to the situation.

I personally consider a deposit a responsibility on both sides. On the buyer's side you're creating a responsibility to pay the rest when the work is done. On the seller's side you're taking the deposit to say that you'll do the work and faithfully execute. I also work with lots of deposits for shows. I take it very seriously when we've been provided a deposit for something down the line that it's become more than just a responsibility but a requirement.

Depending on the people involved, if a buyer has deposited and the seller hasn't come through even with good faith agreements to extend or whatever else...the buyer should get their money back. I've also been in the "quoted time extended well beyond the actual build time" situation but had a good level of comfort and communication. That's not the case here. Holding the deposit until some amorphous 'finish the bass and eventually sell it' is really not cool.

Mike Whitfield, MDBass, GregC and 3 others like this.
  7. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Here we go again: Small builder promises quality and product that rivals that of a master luthier for a fraction of the price, and quickly discovers that he's working for less than what a child labourer in an Vietnamese textiles factory earns, and has 40 backlogged builds all due in the next three months and no way to get them done.

8. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    They should buy a CNC machine.
    Cutting and routing the body in 1 hour with a machine or cutting it by hand in N-days has no influence on the final result/quality/tone.
    Cutting is just... cutting.

gebass6, JeroB666 and Shanannigan like this.
  9. I don't know the individual, so don't know whether that was the intent from the outset. The thing is, he's continuing along that path despite being aware of the situation he's found himself in. Might not have been the original intent, but there must be awareness (alongside possible denial) by now.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t see any logical inconsistency in my disagreeing with your characterization of someone being a nice person when somebody’s had to repeatedly chase after them to deliver on their own promises.

My client contacted me in advance to let me know the situation he was in and what wasn’t going to happen because of it. He asked for no special favors or consideration. He made no empty promises to stall or buy himself time. He merely called to say he knew he owed us, had no idea of when he’d be able to pay the bills, but stated he had every intention of squaring it with us some day when he was able to. And he didn’t want to leave us guessing about what was going on. To my mind his call had a certain integrity and dignity to it. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy call for him to make.

That’s a lot different than how Kalium is behaving by holding a deposit they have neither a moral or legal right to continue to hold onto. If the OP ever decided to take legal action, Kalium’s long history of broken promises, poor communication, repeated delays, and alleged shipping problems would get Kalium very little sympathy or benefit of the doubt in small claims court.

FWIW if it were me in the same situation as the OP I’d just write it off at this point and move on. A thousand dollars isn’t pocket change. But life is too short to waste excessive amounts of time and effort dealing with some people no matter how much a nice a person they may be. Time is my most precious possession these days. And I’m neither vindictive nor a hardass. Were I younger I might feel otherwise.

11. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    Now that is a travesty. I feel for the poor guys who opted for those terrible Kalium basses instead of going to a legit luthier for custom work.

You can slap all the fancy hardware on bass, but if it turns your clothes green, come on. My $200 Talman is killing that poor thing on quality.

12. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i ordered a bass from Tom Clement. Put down a deposit and received many pics of my bass being made. in less than 2 months, my dream 6-string was on my doorstep.

not all builders are the same. don't be afraid to order from custom builders....just do some homework first.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Even though you went through PayPal, you can still contact your credit card company. I did it. Got my money back from both (of course had to give back the PayPal refund).

Mike Whitfield and MDBass like this.
  14. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    Don't remember where I got the pic, but Clement's craftsmanship is phenomenal. Example of one of the best bass luthiers out there.
    351-full-front-2.jpg

GregC, GentProvocateur and neddyrow like this.
  15. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    tom clement.jpg tom clement2.jpg
    here's my Tom Clement #461

Mike Whitfield and GregC like this.
  16. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Painful?
    More like Excruciating!!
    Rock on.

17. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    This is truly unfortunate. His strings are the best ones I've ever used, I wonder if I place a larger order if it will be fulfilled?? Where else can I get a heavier set of balanced strings that last as long as these do?

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What do you mean? $2000+ to get a fixer-upper bass that wasn't what you ordered and terrible customer service to boot. That's a deal! :sour:

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  19. PayPal. I have started a case with them

MDBass and GregC like this.
  20. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Man I hate to hear about things like this. I would be crazy angry.