Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beware of MUSICYO.COM

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I bought the Steingerger "Spirit" model 5 string. It looked and sounded great. But I noticed that there was a chip in the body. I sent them a email about that and they asked me to RMA it. I did so and after a few days asked them if they had recieved it yet. They replied the next day saying they hadn't. I followed up with them after a couple of days and they replied that it usually takes a few days. (according to the post office, it should have already been there) Now it has been almost two weeks since their last email to me and I am getting nervous. I followed their RMA directions, used their RMA mailing label and after I dropped off the package I realized (They use USPS) they left me with no way to track the freakin thing.

Assuming that they do not contact me again, anyone know what my recourse could be against a online company with no published phone number? Anyone living in TN mind breaking in and getting me my bass back?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    (a guy with big baggy pants, a white wife-beater shirt, a knit cap down to the bridge of his nose, and koRn underroos on comes up to you)

hey YO, dis is MUSIC related, so me an' my homies 'as gonna take it on down to the Big Wheel's hood.

peace out.

lotta help i am, huh? :rolleyes: ;) why don't you try calling them?

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I assume you used your credit card for the transaction. Call them up and see if they can do anything. They will probably ask you for a reciept for when you shipped it back to the company, but you should be able to get your $$ back.

Good luck

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    No...Nooooo!!! Not the koRn underoos!!! Help!

Music Yo has no published telephone number. I checked their domain name with a whois statement in register.com and called the admin contact. It's a fake number.

I will check with my credit card people... maybe I can challenge the charge. I have proof that I bought it and that I mailed it. I just can't track it. :( - Music Yo sent me a email this morning after I told them that if they haven't sent the replacement yet, just to cancel the order. Their reply, "I don't show that as being processed yet, let me check the warehouse." :rolleyes:

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd go ahead and cancel the order through the credit card company. They'll have you fill out forms, which you can just reply that you haven't been given any answers and have waited...I'm sure you know the drill...

Also, call the shipper. While they may not want to admit it, I've heard that shipping companies have some liability in some cases...

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    FYI

There's a delivery confirmation slip that you can use when sending stuff via USPS and can track that number on their website. I do understand that for you, that this is water under the bridge.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I boought a bass last year from MusicYo and returned it with no drama... actually the easiest return I've ever experienced. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

How was it sent through USPS? (next day, ground, etc.). I got a real eye-opener when something I ordered (a computer)was shipped UPS ground (about $10 cheaper than second day) and took 9 days to arrive! Considering you can drive across country in 3 days that's ridiculous.

AFAIK the USPS doesn't guarantee prompt arrival, just that eventually things will get there. Their two day service is "maybe" 2 days, not guaranteed;)

Before I'd panic I'd email them again.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You should be ok with your CC company, Gab. All Citibank wanted from me recently was proof that I tried to return it. They ran with it from there.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Gabu -

Don't freak yet - returns take a bit of time to process over at MY. They are an honest bunch, though - I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them, and had to return one item for exchange. As it turns out, RMAs that ship USPS (as opposed to UPS) take up to a week extra in transit, and then get picked up by MY only once a week.

Didn't the postal clerk give you a postmarked receipt? They were supposed to - it was the bottom portion of the RMA form.

Hang in there!

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks very much for all of your advice. I will hold out for a bit longer in case it's just a USPS thing. If MusicYo replied to my email a bit more regularly (and of course if they told me that it was going to take this long) then I would be easier about it. But I guess I am just being a bit too jumpy.

:(

I really want to use that bass to re-record my tuneage for mp3.com...

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If MusicYo has a fault, it's their time lag in answering email. The ordering system is very automated, but I think all the emails are handled by one or two people, who probably also have other duties.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here is the last email I sent to MusicYo. The thing that scares me about these guys is that a lot of internet companies have been going out of business... I wish they would just send me the damaged bass back so I could at least have that. :( anyways here it is:

Since you have not been responsive to my emails, I do not believe I have any alternative.

I am canceling my order. I am going to have my credit card block payment to you.

There is no reason I should have to wait over a month to send and be returned a RMA bass that you should have in stock. This is especially bad because of your lack of communication with me.

I am also a active member of several musicians
    organizations, so they will all know of my experience
    with musicyo.com.

I wish it was different as I love your gear. But your
    communication is terrible and I now fear that I may be getting taken advantage of. If you have anything to say regarding this, please feel free to email me. I honestly wish this would have worked out better. I am calling my credit card company immediately to dispute your payment.

Gabriel Brooks
    and Deborah Myers

13. Hey Gabu does musicyo have a phone number?

Not to sound like an arse but it is an email world.
    A freind of mine had a problem like yours, she kept emailing the company with no avail, I asked if she had called she said no, sometimes a phone call can speed things up. And don't hang up unless you have the answer you want.

Email lets the slacker come out in a lot of people.

Good Luck.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Gabu - which email address have you be using?

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have been replying to their few emails to me... all coming from orders@musicyo.com .

Thanks very much for all of your advice and help, by the way! It is much appreciated. :)

16. There are no phone numbers on the site, but I found this by running a search on a whois directory. Hope it helps.

Registrant:
    musicyo.com (MUSICYO5-DOM)
    PMB #249 1840 41st Ave. #102
    Capitola, CA 95010-2527
    US

Domain Name: MUSICYO.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
    McGuire, Johnathon (JMM855) webmaster@MUSICYO.COM
    Music Yo
    PMB #249 1840 41st Ave. #102
    Capitola , CA 95010-2527
    831-469-4735

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Gabu -

Status? Have your toy yet?

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I heard from a fella on Monday and he said that he would look into it. I sent him a email yesterday around noon asking if he had heard anything with no reply yet... So we'll see. I was hoping with this new contact that I could get a more snappy response. But I am trying to be patient too. It has been, however, more than a month now.

Thanks a bunch again for your info and support. I hope to have a positive answer before the weekend. At that point, I will just cancel it and challenge the debt with my CC company. But I am trying to give MY every chance.

19. I just returned a bass to MYwednesday. Luckily I did get the delivery confirmationbut I sent it USPS ground and it hasn't got there yet. I hope it does't take that long to get my moeny back. I ordered a Tobias Toby Deluxe 4 with the impression that they were going to be equipped with Bartolini pickups but when I received the bass they were regular Tobias p-ups. If that didnt pi$$ me off enough there was a horrible fret buzz that I would probably had to spend money to fix and would have defeated the whole purpose of the cheap bass. I was dissappointed that Tobias would put its name on such a piece of crap. I hope you get your bass back soon and I hope they give me my money back soon.

20. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    bassistjedi -

You're the first person I've run across that ordered a bolt-neck MusicYo Tobias. Most of the people I've talked to that bought a Toby Pro thought it was a very good value for the buck.

C'mon - did you really think you were getting a bass with Barts for $300 delivered?!? (Even the $600 MY Toby Pros don't have Barts!) Their online specs clearly show what pickups they use.

Did you try to do anything about the buzz? I'm curious if it was improper setup or bad frets.