Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beware of the latest popular scam!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    What a day!

I'd mentioned earlier about the upsurge in scam emails I have personally been getting, and heard from a couple guys who had been approached and asked me if I thought it was "fishy." As a result, I spent some time last night harvesting all the email addresses from my own Double Bass Classified Ads site, and sent them the following email:

I also inadvertently sent it to the 2xbasslist. Amazingly enough I got emails from two guys who are currently engaged in deals like this. One had already deposited the check, but hadn't sent the money yet -- I don't know if he gave up his $6000 bass! Just got a second email from a guy who deposited a check today and was also feeling queasy about the deal.

This completely blows me away! I only sent perhaps 50 emails-- if this is any indication. these bastards are taking a lot of guys off for big bucks! So, in the interest of making as many people as possible aware, I'm posting this here and elsewhere.

Let's be careful out there.

2. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    People sure suck sometimes, don't they? I think this one deserves to stay on top for a while.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I honestly don't get how people fall for something like this. Sure, the people who do this are weasels but it's clearly a something for nothing proposition. If someone owed someone else money and that person wanted to buy something from me, it's no different than if one person was involved. If I don't know you I'll do COD with a postal money order or wait for a check in advance.

If this ficticious person was going to give me surplus funds, I'd make sure it was in a form I couldn't get screwed on, like a postal money order. I'm sure they'd balk at that and then the deal would be off.

Doesn't sound much more sophisticated than the guys driving around selling "surplus" high end home speakers from a van.

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The classic Pigeon Drop. Also known on the Internet as The Nigerian Scam. It's one of the oldest scams around, and depends on the victim being just a *little* bit greedy. Remember the movie "The Sting"? That's what they're running at the beginning of the film.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I was selling a bass on ebay; even tho i mentioned in the auction that i would not ship overseas the buyer (from Korea) used the "buy it now" option.

when i emailed him, he told me that he had a friend in San Diego that would be taking care of the purchase from this point on.

He wanted the guy to send me a check.

I told him that unless he paid by paypal within 24 hrs i would not sell to him.

Luckily, the San Diego contact paid me.

Could have been ugly...

7. Greetings fellow bassists,

Yes even here"Down Under" they'll try it on!
    I received a (supposed!) lotto win from the U.K (post marked The Philippines???) about three weeks back.It informed me that I had been the winner of a Bonus Draw and that I was to receive 3500 pound. All I had to do was forward my banking details with "Credit Card Details" for an amount of 39 pound for......so called postage and transfer details and the amount would be debited to my account........SURE!;)

8. Bob,
    I sent a email to you some time ago, hoping to get some info on the Eminence EUB, but never received a reply. Can I assume that you filed my email under "Suspect" or "Fraudulent" and rerouted it to your trash bin?

9. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Only if your email was shady ;)

I don't have your email address so I can't search my mail program. I do my best to respond to each of the many emails I get, but I'm not perfect. Sometimes emails go to the aether, I think, and I'm also frequently frustrated by bounces from full mailboxes and other things that send my replies back at me with no recourse.

Send again!

10. I've read about the Nigerian scam, and an article said you should report them to the FBI. Don't remember specifics, though.