Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beware of the new Chevy Express vans-

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CL_Power, Jan 22, 2003.

1. We (Lyman) finally got our sh*t together and bought a brand new van. No more horror stories- breaking down in the middle of nowhere...yeah right.

This van is super nice- 2003 Chevrolet Express 3500, 1-ton extended wheel base, loaded to the gills. I almost put a month and half and just over 2200 miles on it before the Electronic Brake Module went out this morning. Let me tell ya, there's nothing like not having brakes. Real fun.

Is it just us, or is every struggling band cursed with the "broken down van disease"?

We'll keep rocking, as long as we can get to the show.

Ciao-
    CL www.lymanmusic.com

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's crazy. It's like we can't escape it.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Convoying home after an out of town gig, I remember commenting to my wife, "there's a funny glow under Phil's van." About five minutes later almost all of the band's gear was history.

Maybe since it's brand new and under warranty, the dealer will give you a loaner??? Something to try for, anyway.

4. Yeah, the dealer gave me one fine Malibu, you know, the P.O.S. model, for now. If they don't have the van ready by Friday, they promised a van rental for this weekend's shows.

I'm just very frustrated- you'd think a brand new $36K van would last longer than 2000 miles before it started breaking.

At least we're not as bad off as Phil (and band)...

Thanks.

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Dont get me started
    with all the chevy products ive ever driven, or friends and family have driven.
    I thought from about 80 till about 96 there products were Pure S**T.
    well i guess they stil might be. ARGH~! that burns me up, they shouldn't screw you over like that.. You should sue chevy!

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Every manufacturer has their lemon vehicles/ bad lines. It surprises me you've ahd such bad experiences with some man chevy's. My famil yhas had many chevy's (particularly mid-80's V8 ,models) and we've ahd a very good experience with them. Our caprice has over 300k on it and still truckin'. It really bites to hae a basically new vehicle cop out on you like that though, my sympathies CL.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    'Phil' wound up with an awesome vintage Gretsch drum set (Got a copy of Eric Johnson's Grammy winning A Via Musicom CD? - it's the kit shown on the liner). The rest of us wound up upgrading our gear too (after struggling with borrowed POS stuff for awhile). Actually worked out okay, in the long run. :)

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ah, I agree... Ford isn't much better... our problem though is every american car wev'e ever had was a lemon, where as most people, american cars are great! I like my foreign cars though!

9. I thought every band had to go through the "crappy van" stage...kinda like a ritual, or a initiation.

Spring Heeled Jack wrote a song about their van (Jolene).

I don't like American cars that much, I've had so many bad experiences with them, with the exception of Saturns.

My mom's Volvo has been through 200K+ miles and runs fine.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My current gig mobile/bass mobile is my impala [84 has 50k miles on it {2nd owner}] runs fine-needs a little bit of work but hey it's older than i am :D I'm surprised that you have had that much trouble with Chevys-my family has and has used chevy trucks & cars as long as i can remeber from a small cavalier to the 3500 crew cab pickup. Hope your luck/experience improves.

11. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    As much as it pains me to say it, when it comes to vans, you shoulda bought a F**d. (Sorry Mike N!) A little research would have gone a long way. F**d vans are tough to beat. You coulda had an E-350 with the badass Powerstroke diesel motor for about that much, maybe a little more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Chevy guy; a convert from the old school Mopar camp. I had a 1978 Chevy Van that I put almost 300,000 miles on in my service business. But I haven't heard anything much good about the newer ones. However, I hope your new one turns out to be as good as my old '78 was! Odds are they will fix it and you will be a happy camper.

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I just put together a super nice E-350 extended van at ford.com with almost every luxury feature and that killer Powerstroke diesel motor for about $36,000. I'll take that one! Wait, I'm broke!!! :cool: