1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by basskababble, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I have a few questions about the DT770's. I'll be using an active P>sansamp>Apogee Duet>macbook Pro>Logic

Why the huge range in price? (ebay BIN for $150 retailers for $250+)
    Are there different models/lower quality versions?
    Can an apogee duet power these? (80ohms)
    Should I use these to record really great sounding basslines? Vocals? Guitar?
    Is it really worth even $150?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The DT770's and DT990's are the best headphones I've ever tried, and I have just about worn out a pair of each over the last few years. Excellent sound, and very comfortable. Get one of each--the open 990's for neutral monitoring, and the closed 770's for bigger bass tone in your ears while jamming along.

The difference in price is because there are two different models, and I believe one of them has been discontinued. It's the one with the 600 ohm impedance that has been disco'ed if I'm not mistaken. They're perfectly good phones, you just have to have a desk with the right impedance headphone output, or with plenty of gain on the headphone amp. They will be problematic with low-output headphone amps. I have no idea about the Apogee.

They're worth more than $150 IMO. :)

3. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    -Yes and oh yeah... It's sooooo worth it! :hyper:

4. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    Beyer products in general have a rather wide range of prices in the US, and the cost to dealers fluctuates with the dollar/euro exchange rate. I think the dealer agreements prevent the dealers from advertising prices below specificed minimums, so you have to call the right dealer (such as Full Compass) to get the best price. For example the standard price for the stereo set of MC930 is $999 US and I've seen used sets sell on ebay for over $800, but I recently checked and you can find them new for about $750.

I'm a fan of their mics and I think they are generally undervalued. I haven't tried their headphones; I was thinking of getting a set but then I got a good price on a comparable Sennheiser pair on a model I had previously tried out and liked.

5. I used some AMEX points towards a pair of Grado SR-80i's. I paid $33 out of pocket. From what I read these should work for mixing an honest track.

I'm guessing, also from what I read, that the 770's may not be so good for mixing, but great for bass jamming... and maybe writing/recording my lines? ("and the closed 770's for bigger bass tone in your ears while jamming along.")

I'll be holding off on these until I can find out for sure why there's such a huge price diference. And till I sell more gear.

This is the lower price set of cans I'd get if there's no diference, maybe it'll help me to find out if they're not the right ones for the Apogee if I post the link...

Cheaper:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BEYERDYNAMIC-DT...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEYERDYNAMIC-DT...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Not cheaper:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BEYERDYNAMIC-DT...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

They only look diferent as far as I can tell...

6. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I was told by my Dr. not to use in ears because of some problems I have had for the past year. So, after much reading, picked up a pair of DT777pro.

Really enjoyed recording bass with them. My old AKG 301's (which cat and kids have decimated) could not hang with the bass.

So, got some great advice. Thanks!