Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beyma 15G450/N

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 15, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is this a speaker suitable for a bass cab? Im gonna use mid driver and tweeter too. Ive found a used one at a superb price. How big is the risk when buying used drivers? The price is so good that its a great deal even if I have to recone.
    But does a recone solve all the probles that might be in this speaker? Please help. What should i look for when buying it?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Buy it!

If you like punchy sounding 15's. These speakers like a cab that's about 52 litres (1.83cu.ft) which isn't all that big. Tune it to 45 Hz and you'll get -3db point of 72HZ. That doesn't sound all that deep but the rolloff is fairly shallow.

The best part about this speaker is that it can handle an honest 600W. In this day and age, it's rare for drivers to take their full thermal wattage rating without hitting x-max. This speaker can. Beyma make some great speakers.

You will probably need that midrange driver though. The Beyma is finished at 1.5K. Maybe an Eminence Alpha 6 (with an appropriate crossover of course). Ideally you'll add 8 litres to the overall cab, then give the mid it's own sealed "enclosure within an enclosure".

Perhaps a Peerless 811647 silk dome tweeter as well. Should make a nice full range cab................

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes, but to get the best performance out of it, you'll really need to design a box to suit. I've used a few Beyma's in PA rigs over the years, and they're excellent performing and reliable drivers. Grab another good 8" or 10" Beyma for the mid and if you don't mind adding a flare for the high frequencies, use a CP380M, one of the very best sounding HF compression drivers ever made (or at least I've ever used).

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks.
    Punch sounds good to me. I will use WinISD to design a properly tuned cab and at least use a 6". That Peerless tweeter looks good too.
    But would you dare to buy a used driver? That´s what I wonder now.
    Will a recone (if needed) take care of all the problems?

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Much of the stuff I own is second hand, but I've either bought it very cheap, and taken a risk, or bought it from a knowledgable/reputable vendor. A recone will fix most problems, the only one it won't I ever recall seeing was a shifted magnet assembly. However, I'd rather wait for a good driver you can test before buying rather than the one that needs to be reconed. Also, if needed, can you do the recone yourself, or do you need to pay someone to do it for you? Check out all the possible costs before you buy, and see what the drivers retail for new street price to get some perspective on the sort of deal you're getting. A 15G450N is about E240 new from the prices I have.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thans. Where did you see that price (Euro 240)? My local dealer sell them for 478 Euro a piece!!! :eek:

7. My copy of WinISD will only show you the flat alignment.

Pete is talking about the SBB4 alignment at 45 Hz. This will give you the tightest bottom and a tuning better suited to a 4-string.

Like your Omega driver, this one is all done by 1,500 Hz. You will need something to carry you to 7,000 Hz.

[ edit ]

If the previous owner overheated the driver, it destroys the magnet (Neo). That will not be solved by a recone. If you have to recone, be sure to use original parts, not an after market kit. Otherwise, the T/S parameters change, and all bets are off for tuning it correctly.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not any more Bruce. The current version doesn't even bother with Optimal flat. It uses SBB4, QB3, C4, and a couple I've never heard of (EBS3 and EBS6). It tries to suggest an alignment for you but it does so based entirely in the driver's QTS. So find myself trying out the other alignments manually................

I used SBB4 on this driver because a 45Hz tuning is better suited for a bass guitar. Some of the other alignments will produce lower -3dB points, but require higher tuning to get there. That means a steeper roll-off and hence less percieved bottom end under the tuning freq. There's also the potential for problems with excursion when fed strong enough signal which is lower then the tuning freq.

Some Neo's include a new magnet as part of the recone. I'm not sure about Beyma but I know a P.Audio recone does.

But I'm not convinced that real world audio applications can produce enough heat to damage the magnetism of a a neodumium magnet. There seems to be much debate about just how much heat you need to cause such damage, and just how much heat a voice coil can produce. So rather than get caught up in the stats war I've been keeping an eye out for instances of such damage and so far I haven't seen one..........

9. I've seen Bag End voice coils welded into the gap due to excessive power consumption. That part is entirely under control of the player.

The driver in question is an excellent driver all the way around... it would be reckless on my part to not point out the important points. Since the driver is being sold so cheap that it is a value even after a recone, I have to ask what is wrong with it. Perhaps the seller knows he over heated it. ?

Very few drivers will accept full rated power without exceeding Xmax. Fortunately, the Beyma is not among that large group. The driver in question will remain within Xmax at 600 watts in SBB4 for sure, probably the other alignments. I didn't check, as I don't find the others useful for electric bass.

I know the latest WinISD does the other alignments, but I don't have a copy. My copy does not. I looked a couple times for the newer one, but it was still in debugging stage so I passed it over. I only use WinISD for graphing anyway... I prefer spread sheets for design work.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I only use ISD for things I haven't yet worked out how to do myself. eg. calculate the FPX as you call it, or the "maximum power handling" as they call it. I'll have to wait for the gigs to die down before sink my teeth into learning some more about this stuff..........

Don't let the "Alpha testing" status bother you. It's pretty much finished now. All the bugs have been taken care of. Actually most of the bugs were human error :)

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great. If prices are that low in Europe I might as well spring for a new driver. Maybe some other 15-driver from Beyma then. Which one is most suited for my needs? 4-string only, difined lows, no mud but still warm sound. Maybe the 15G40 instead? Costs a bit less too.
    My goal is to build a 15+ 5" or 6" + tweeter ala Glockenklang.
    Thats a high goal, right? :D

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That is good advice, for Neo magnet drivers. The 15G450N datasheet states the magnet is ferrite.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually it's not marked as a Neo on your spreadsheet Bruce. We probably both assumed the "N" in the model numbers stood for Neodymium.

14. It probably stands for (N)ew, as there is an older model if I remember right.

I don't reference my spread sheet at every post, hence the error. I do make every attempt when I enter the spread sheet data to make sure it is accurate. I have a comment at the high columns that mentions Neo if that is the magnet type.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been looking at the Beyma 8" as a mid driver, namely the 8LW30. This one IS a neo. I have no idea no much it costs but it spec's up nicely, probably too nicely if you know what I mean $$$$$........ At least it keeps it all in the Beyma family.........

16. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden

The 8LW30 is really expensive and inly 95dB @1w/1m.
    How about a combo of 15G40 and 6MI90 ? All new drivers instead of taking a chance with the used 15G450.
    What about other Beyma 15´s?