Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beyma Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Ginsburg, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Josh Ginsburg

Josh Ginsburg

Jun 20, 2002
    Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the EV force speaker I have in my single 12" Flite cabinet. The EV sounds good but breaks up pretty easily on the lower strings.
    I found this one- Beyma 12BR70
    http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 12BR70-1.htm

I looks like more of a hifi speaker than an instrument speaker- although I don't really know what that means! I'm just using it for amplifying a double bass, though, and I've found I like the sound of a good PA speaker for this than most bass cabs.

I've heard Beyma are nice- and it's a good price- I just don't know if it will work well in such a small cabinet- it's something like 16"x14"x12". Flite recommended the Eminence Beta 12A- but I'm not so sure I like the sound of the Eminence speakers I've tried.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
    Josh

Oh yeah, I'm powering it with an Acoustic Image Clarus-together I can take everything on the subway...

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That driver leans towards the hi-fi end. It has a lot better bottom than the EV Force relative to its broadband response, but in the size cabinet you have the EV ends up with the same sensitivity below 100Hz and more sensitivity above 100Hz. The Beta 12 is more sensitive than the Force above 100Hz but nearly exactly the same below that. The bottom line for a better bottom line isn't your driver, it's the speaker cabinet. A one cubic foot box is about two cubic feet shy of what you need to have deep response with high output, no matter what driver you use.

3. Josh Ginsburg

Josh Ginsburg

Jun 20, 2002
    Interesting- well what about deep response with low(er) output? I don't need rock type volume- i mostly play jazz.
    I called US speaker about the Beyma and they recommended the Eminence Delta Light. They said it should be relatively flat down to 100hz and then I could boost the bass to compensate.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Bill, how would the Delta LF work for him?

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The Delta LF would work a lot better than either what he has, the Beyma or Beta 12. One advantage to the Delta LF beyond the better response curve is the higher xmax than the Force, so it will be far less likely to fart out with a lot of EQ added. But it won't have the midrange of the Force, so there are trade offs. The Deltalite 12 is a bit better than the Force but is not nearly as good as the D12LF and also has a shorter xmax than either.

6. Josh Ginsburg

Josh Ginsburg

Jun 20, 2002
    low xmax causes the "fart" ? I've ordered the deltalight but I'm starting to think I should have gone with the LF...
    Is it a problem underpowering a speaker like that so much? The Clarus is only about 120 watts.

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    One is about ten times more likely to have fart out due to the lack of speaker excursion than from a lack of amp power, but in your case you have limitations in both areas. Your speaker cabinet is too small to allow adequate sensitivity to deliver deep bass without being driven by a fairly high-powered amp and a lot of EQ (remember, adding only 6dB of bass boost requires quadrupling of power) while your driver lacks the necessary xmax to allow it to handle high power at low frequencies without bottoming out. The D12LF would address part of the equation. Whether the Clarus has enough juice one can't say until you try it with the D12LF. I don't believe the 2512 will help you, but anything's possible.

8. Josh Ginsburg

Josh Ginsburg

Jun 20, 2002
    Thanks,
    Maybe I'll return the deltalight for the LF- the farting was the worst thing about the Force speaker. I guess I could just tape the connections on the delta light to try it and still return it? Although a bad connection might blow out my amp...

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have a Beyma 12lw30/n in a flite cab thats even smaller than yours and it sounds nice. It sacrifices some loudness to get better lows but its great for small gigs and only weighs 11 lbs!

10. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    And selling the Flite, and buying an Acme LowB 1?
    In 4 ohm, I'm pretty sure it will works well with upright, I've had a listening test of an Acme LowB1 @8 ohm with my AI Focus, and the upright player was delighted, without needs to Eq it.