1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beyonce and Justin Timberlake Bass Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MichiBass, Oct 24, 2006.

1. I want to transcribe Beyonce's Deja-Vu and Timberlake's Rock Your Body, and I don't know who are the bass players that recorded / played their bass lines.
    Do you know? I think it should be written on the CD Booklet, I don't have them.

Does somebody know?

Thanks!

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Pretty sure both of those are synths. Although I did hear from someone that Janek Gwizdala plays on Beyonce's new album. Don't know how reliable that is, though.

3. At Rock Your Body, I agree it could be a synth, but Beyonce's Deja-Vu sounds like a real bass, and sounds very good...

So? Does nobody have the booklet?

4. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    they arent synth at least on beyonce but no bassist listed only an instrumentalist

not sure about timberlake as I didnt purchase this album but the players on the album are nathan east, thaddeus tribbett,

according to allmusic.com

5. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I know that Divinity played bass on Deja-Vu with Beyonce at the BET Entertainment Awards show.

6. Who's Divinity ?

7. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    I saw a woman playing with beyonce, she was amazing bassist, awesome tone and everything! and jt's backing band are hot! especially the bassist!

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There was an article on her in Bass Player about a year ago. She is a bassist from Atlanta that met Victor Wooten at one of his bass nature camps. She impressed Wooten by rapping and playing at the same time. She has been a part of his tour, and she has a segment where she solos, lays down a groove, then raps and plays at the same time.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Timberlake was on the Tonight Show 10/25/06, and I believe his bassist had an Alleva-Copolo five.

10. Yes, yes, I know Divinity!

11. According to the insert sleeve of Deja Vu, bass is by someone called Jon Jon.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

i saw that last night too. on timberlake's new album, the credits go to

darryl pearson
    caleb speir
    melvin dunlap

those three cats. its either melvin or darryl. Caleb was his old touring bassist.

13. Thank you, allthough I can't find anything about Jon Jon on the internet, I have at least what to write in the "Bass Player" textbox.
    Thank you.

Does anyone have Timberlake's Cd sleeve?

14. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i posted timberlake's new cd and narrowed it down to 2 names. read above.

15. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    That's Kevin Walker.

16. xafofo

xafofo

Jul 1, 2005
    bezerkeley
    Rock Your Body sounds very much like a sample/synth to me... and it was produced by the Neptunes, who rarely use any real instruments in their beats

17. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    have you heard the albums by N.E.R.D. (the neptunes + another dude)? the first album was recorded with a band (Spymob) and the second one pharrell, chad, and shay played most of the instruments.

18. So, I'll write Jon Jon at Beyonce and Bass Synth at Justin.
    Thanks a lot.

19. xafofo

xafofo

Jul 1, 2005
    bezerkeley
    yea, i have both NERD albums

i was referring to DA BEATS that they produce for other artists, such as

Britney Spears - I'm a Slave 4 U
    Mystikal - Shake Your Ass
    Noreaga - Nothin
    Busta Rhymes - Light Your Ass on Fire
    Nelly - Hot in Here

etc etc etc etc..... sooo many hit songs, not a single one with live bass (that I know of, can't say I've heard EVERY Neptunes track), and hardly any with real instruments

20. A dream of mine has always been to get a gig with one of these big artists who never use a real bass player and have to learn synth lines and how to make them on a live instrument.

The Madonna gig would be excellent for something like that....and would pay well too....