1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BF#BE on 4 String too loose?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nickismusic, Mar 23, 2013.

1. nickismusic

nickismusic

Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I recently acquired a Music Man Stingray and my band tunes to Drop B, BF#BE. But when I have the tuning that low, the strings are too lose for my taste on the music man. what can help tighten them up? I'm using ernie ball regular slinky right now. Would lowering the action help?
    thanks!
    Nick

2. If you're trying to tune an octave under a low B, look into circle K strings. They make some huge balanced sets for that kind of stuff.
    There are plenty of BEAD sets available, but trying to go lower than D standard with most medium sets is too floppy for me.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    This ^^

Nice answer! Was thinking exacly the same.

Small question for the OP : Ever thought of getting a 5 string bass?

4. nickismusic

nickismusic

Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    so heavier gauge strings is the best option? what sets of strings do you recommend? I've usually stuck with ernie ball and i think i got some ghs bass boomers a loong time ago.
    i actually played most of our stuff on a 5 string ESP before but always liked 4 strings better.

5. Warwick has an F# set and circle K has a ton of options, with tension charts. Sent them an email, or call em up. They will set you straight.

Or Pm SlapinFunk, he could get you squared away also. I've gotten a few sets of strings from him, and they were always shipped quick, packaged well and priced right:)

6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Drop B is fun. We cover some Sevendust and Chevelle in that tuning.

I have a neck-thru '88 Charvel 3B w/ EMGs that I tune to that. I use the Circle K .130 5-string Drop Tune set, and just toss out the "low E". That way your most important string (the B) is in it's standard pitch, and isn't too bulky. Then, for the ADG strings those are only 1.5 steps down, and at least to me is WAY, way better for playing and for my bass than "tuning up" on the EAD strings, which I've tried, and is horrible. Those Circle K strings tune down 1.5 steps no problem.
    You'll want to get it setup that way, though. Here's the SKU:

.130 5 String 34 to 35 Scale Length Drop Tune CKS-130S5DH

I've been playing exclusively drop C/drop B the last 5 years or so now, so this is the best solution I've come across. "Off the shelf" strings are just not as good as what you can get online from manufacturers who specifically design sets of strings for this reason.

7. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    What would that matter if he's playing in Drop B? :snax: :confused::meh: He still needs open F#, B and E strings. If this is new for you, just look around and do some research and light reading. No need to make it more difficult/confusing than it has to be, because it isn't.

8. I have to recommend DR's Drop Down Tuning Strings personally...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Amount-...100&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Drop+Down+Tuning

Ive owned several sets of each... On 3 different basses all at Drop A, B or C.
    So from experience out of the three sets that are there when you follow the link...

-1st Set (Mediums) Will feel like a significant improvement and should you to comfortably play in BF#BE thru C#G#C#F# with minimal adjustments...

-2nd Set (Heavy) Will have a solid feel at BF#BE but if your ever tuning to Drop C or higher You'll probably have to adjust the action a bit.

-3rd Set (Extra Heavy) You'll be tight as a drum (Comparatively) at BF#BE and comfortable at Drop A... Fair warning the B String (1st/Thickest) is so big it is sometimes to thick for the factory nut on the bass!!!

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    In that case, I apologize.. Can you explain me how to tune EADG all the way to BF#BE?

10. I play in drop B and I had to get my bass set up just account for the tension... and I also use the Ernie ball power Slinky's .55 - .110

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Get a standard gauge B string (.130 or thereabout depending on your preference). Get an extra light EAD (conversely get an extra heavy ADG) and tune those to F#BE (equivalent to the 2nd frets of standard EAD strings).

The OP is not talking about tuning his bass an octave below a 5-string basses low B.

12. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    If you like the Ernie Balls and GHS strings why not get a 5-string set and ditch the thinnest? The other four should be okay, not as exact as a set specifically for that much drop on the top three strings but you'd be able to sue the strings you like. You can even order single strings and build your own set, something along the lines of a 70-90-105-130 might be perfect for drop B.

13. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Wow, didn't realize this was even possible. Those drop tuning strings must be something else if you can tune your bass that low and still keep the strings on the fretboard.

14. TheEmptyCell

Again, only a beginner will continually use their stock E string tuned down to B. There are thousands of strings out there that will give you perfect tension for any drop tuning.

15. TheEmptyCell

130 - 90 - 70 - 50 would be better. That 105 is standard for E... F# is a whole step higher. A 90 will be much more comfortable.

www.bassstringsonline.com has every string under the sun, and discounts for TB members. Jason is also super helpful!