1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BFM omni 15 v jack 15 v fearful 15/6(/1)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blujosh, Aug 15, 2012.

1. blujosh

blujosh

Dec 8, 2009
    San Fran
    besides, BFM's cabs being more efficient w/ lower watts and the Fearful being able to handle louder amps...

what are the main differences/advantages between the three speakers?

i'm looking to build a 15" driver cab that can be using as both a bass cab (that can handle fairly low tunings) as well as a PA cab. being able to have an adjustable tweeter/piezo (ie. able to attenuate or defeat it) would be ideal, but not a dealbreaker.

thanks in advance...

2. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks Commercial User

Jan 6, 2011
    Kansas
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    For a dual purpose box, the omni . Both are great cabs with slightly different flavors. PA use the Omni gets the edge. Pure bass use is a toss up, depending on what sound you're looking for. fEARfuls are the most popular as a pure bass cab.

Whoops forgot the Jack. I love Jacks. They are a great cab. If you're willing to compromise on the bass it's a really good cab. Just not the thunder of the others, physical size precludes that.

3. blujosh

blujosh

Dec 8, 2009
    San Fran
    so you'd rec the omni 15 over the others as a dual use PA and Bass amp? do you have any first hand experience with it or the other cabs that you could share?

4. He's an authorized builder for all of them, so I'd take his word on this subject as pretty valuable.

5. Leland is an authorized builder for both product lines, and is one of the few people to have played through all the items mentioned.

6. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    What sort of PA application are you planning to use the cab? Just for vox or DJ work? Are you just looking for something to play music through in between sets?

7. blujosh

blujosh

Dec 8, 2009
    San Fran
    all of the above.
    when I'm using it for bass/down tuned guitar the amp emulating is happening at my board, so I'm really looking for some loud, fairly neutral sounding full-range cabs that can handle low lows when needed.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use a Jack 12 for 5-string as both my practice PA and have gigged it as a bass cab.

However, I think a 15/6/1 would be a better bet for this application, tbh. More bass.

Omnis are huge and don't really gain anything over the 15/6/1 for being huge.

9. blujosh

blujosh

Dec 8, 2009
    San Fran
    even the tallboy omni 15's? are they much bigger than the 15/6/1's?

also, is there way to attenuate and/or defeat the tweeter/piezo's on either of those?

10. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    This thread's been dead a short bit, but I'm resurrecting because I'd like to know the answer to the last question! I'm also (again...) mulling over a build to replace my 2 heavy-ish single-15s with.

And an add-on question: How would you knowledgeable folk describe the difference between the 15/6 and the Omni 15TB?

Thanks...

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Omni 15 tallboy is probably a little more sensitive, much more complicated to build, and I'd guess has better dispersion, because its a much more fiddly alignment to get the most out of the drivers, with horns and such. I have an Omni 15 TB, used it for amplifying octobass and putting garden party music through.

12. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for the reply, Mr Foxen! What's "Octobass"? And would you play in a raucous punk band with it? Or is it more suited to 80's-and-after King Crimson (i.e., Tony Levin / Trey Gunn)?