1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BFX-15 combo: no sound from speaker and tiny distorted sound from headphones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vwphile, Jul 23, 2007.

1. vwphile

vwphile

Jul 23, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    hello all, new guy:bag: i searched (and searched and searched) for this with no dice:

the short version: no sound from 15 watt combo amp speaker, very faint distorted sound from headphones output, tried diff't basses and cords

I've a Crate BFX-15 that i've had for 6 years with no issues until this.

It powers on, LED lights up but no pop and no hum from the speaker. no sound when i plug in the bass - tired 2 basses ( Ibanez SRX-700 and an Aria Pro) a guitar and 4 cords.

when i plug in headphones (it has a headphone jack) i can just barely hear a very very faint and very very distorted signal from the instrument ( sort of like you hear if you're playing through a little battery powered amp with a 99% dead battery)

i opened up the electronics and didn't see anything obvious - no obvious loose connections or cooked resistors. yay electronics merit badge.

if it matters, this model has on-board digital effects, but changing them doesn't seem to have any effect.

i'm clueless and i'd love to have my practice amp back (i can't deal with carrying my gig rig upstairs all the time!)

nice forum you got here; thanks in advance for anything

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I believe that your amplifier is damaged...but you might want to test the speaker with a 9 volt battery, or try a different speaker. It is a long shot, but a burned out speaker might have the same symptoms.