Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BFX 708 -- Opinions??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dwynsen, Dec 9, 2000.

1. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Anyone have any real experience with the BFX708? I would appreciate your comments. Also, can you comment on which effects pedals I might audition for 1) distortion, 2) chorus, and 3) octavizer??? Thanks!

[Edited by dwynsen on 12-09-2000 at 09:41 AM]

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Weird, I just posted about the 708 in another thread...

To be honest, it's very average. You're not going to get a great sound out of it but for $130 (or whatever) it's not bad. The sound is ok, but there's not a lot of flexibility. (The Compressor controls are Tone, Level, and Sensitivity... that's it!)

Chorus: Very subtle. You can't get the crazy spacy sounds like you can out of a Boss Bass Chorus, but if you don't need a lot, it's good.

Distortion: Can get very muddy. Either really good or really bad depending on your EQ.

Octaver: This is probably one of the better effects on the pedal. It does a good job of tracking the lower notes (let's not go nuts, though, I've never heard a good octave pedal that does anything good on an E string) but for high-fretboard work it sounds very good.

The other effects are amusing but not all that helpful. (Ring Modulator? Step filter? The ultra special Zoom "Time" effect?) It's pretty decent for it's price range, I'll enjoy it for as long as I have it, but I'm probably going to get rid of it soon for a SansAmp Bass Driver.
    Hope I helped, let us know how it turns out!

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    yeah,
    Great when used very very sparingly,some of the effects are complete crap i.e. "ring modulator" you can't get any kind of decent sound out of that no matter how hard you try.
    It's also very noisy when used with batteries.
    Good fun for a month or two ......then it gets .....er...boring.
    I sort of wish I'd saved the money and gone for something maybe simpler but better quality.

4. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    well, I've had the BFX708 since the summer, got it used, and I must say there is one problem, the speaker input has a bad connection, and I've heard that it is common. I have gotten around it by wrapping my 20 foot cord around it which seems to keep it in. The Chorus is nice, not amazing, but good for my stuff(hardcore type), the octave is good, but then again, I haven't heard many others. In my opinion, it has a nice flanger, it actually can get all the low notes in the flange too, the phaser is nice, I love playing with the delays, it has up to a 1.5 second delay. Uhh....it does have some useless stuff, ie the time effect and the ring modulator, but many of the effects are totally tweakable and fun for messing around. I have used it for one concert so far, and it held up fine. It's not great, but for the 120 that I got it for, it's worth it to me, I love having it, and it has honestly one of the best tuners that I've used.

5. I actually just messed with a 708 in some guy's dorm room. I didn't like the distortion or synth effects much, but most were pretty decent. I liked the octave effects, the phaser and phaser with echo, the trem, some of the delay effects.. and yes.. the ring modulator. :) A lot seemed to do nothing, but I was playing this guy's low end Washburn through a small practice amp called a Vantage.

I seriously think that used in moderation for short bursts, a ring mod would be useful. I've also heard it sound very well when mixed with a straight signal, though I didn't play with the box enough to find out if thats possible on the 708.

6. hud2020

hud2020

Dec 3, 2000
    it has acople of usless features and the distortion is a bit
    messy