Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iplaybass, Jul 21, 2000.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    before anybody says anything, yes, i do see that there are already 3 or 4 topics with the bfx in their title. but looking through these, i can find no consensus on the quality and value of this pedal. can we come to some kind of conclusion? also, if anybody absolutely hates theirs, i might buy it, so email me.
  2. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    It is decent for the money. The rythm machine is pretty cool and the effects are pretty good. I think if you really sat down with it you could get some really good sounds out of it. But in my opinion it kills your tone. It takes away all the midrange punch. There might be a way to make it sound better but I just can't get the tone I am looking for. If you are looking for a way to get a lot of effects for cheap its a good buy. Since there are only 2 pedals on it, it might be kind of hard to use live, because you would have to cycle through a bunch on patches to get to the one you want. I would not recommend it unless you plan on using it for recording or practicing. hope the helped!

3. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    I agree, I just bought the BFX 708, and I like it. It's good for a beginner looking to have a little fun and play around, but if you are totally serious about having this as your main pedal for everything from recording, live, or practice, I'd go with something a little bit more expensive and better quality, but if you want something to mess around with, the drum machine is very good in my opinion, the effects are well done for the price. If you can find a used one, I'd say go ahead and try it, but don't bother buying new. Oh, it is plastic and small, which is good for transport, but I'm a little wary of it so it won't get trashed. One problem is I find it cuts out when I try to play it on thick carpet.

"if cows could fly, everyone would carry umbrellas"
  4. nixrick

Aug 12, 2000
    I own one, and it's not terrible, i use it for not waking up my roomies with my mesaboogie. my main bitch with it is you can't operate the effects independant of the patches. in other words, it can't be JUST a chorus, or JUST a synth, without clearing out a patch and reprogramming it. So it's kind of a pain in the ass.

the effects are well done, tho if not very flexible. One way to deal with the sound quality issue is to run it through your effects loop (if you have one) if you don't have one, try a little preamp, like a fishman or sadowsky.
  5. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I've got one, and it's starting to break. It's not bad for a beginner to use by their self but when you play with other people you'll find out that it has no balls.
  6. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I have to agree that it is good for practicing and having a little fun trying out different effects....but I wouldn't depend on it outside of that kind of usage.
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I've noticed that using the mains adapter instead of batteries (even brand new alkalines) on the 708 Improves the sound quality by 100%! - Anyone else noticed that?
  8. phill gray

phill gray

Sep 4, 2000
    i`ve used one live for about 6 months...the thing rocks,with a little tweaking.the synth sounds are great,ignore the user presets and configure your takes a couple of minutes...mine is indestructible.for a couple of hundred bucks this is way underrated...there is a huge conglomerate of sounds in there...i`m real picky and with the patches i set versus the bypass it does`nt affect my basic tone at all.