BG in modern straightahead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Besides Bob Cranshaw, are there any prominent slabbers whose primary context is straightahead (no shredding guitars, no synthesizers) jazz?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Mark Egan with Gil Evans.
  4. I think I had a brain freeze for a minute. I should have known that, y'know?
  5. Please forgive the ignorance (naivete, stupidity, fill in the blank) here, but...

Slabbers? Straightahead?? :confused:
  6. SLAB is our DB-playing friends' affectionate term for the bass guitar.

"Straightahead" is whatever the hell jazz is these days that isn't free or fusion.
  7. I see. Thank you ever so much for the education. Much appreciated.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Anthony Jackson
    Will Lee
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You could always listen to some REALBASS players, and imitate them on Plank....that's how I got started. :)

But if you insist on listening to Slabbers, Jeff Andrews sounds pretty good on Michael Brecker's "Don't Try This at Home". And you can't go too far wrong with Steve Swallow. Patitucci also plays excellent straight ahead on his Pork Chop when he needs to...I saw a Chick Corea Akoustic band concert a few years back where the airline had "lost" John's Realbass, and he had to play the show on his 6-String Toybass. Canoe Paddle notwithstanding, I had bruises on my posterior for days after the show, and they didn't all come from Chick, either.