1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[BG] String Identification

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by msiner, Apr 15, 2009.

1. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    The guitarist I play with has a jazz bass that needs a bit of a setup, but sounds great. I really like the strings on his bass, but he has no idea what kind they are. He has a few old packages laying around, but I don't believe any of them are for this current set of strings. So here goes the description:

1) Very smooth; they look kind of like roundwounds, but feel much smoother
    2) Shiny; they are very shiny, noticeably more so than the stainless steel strings on my bass
    3) Black silk winding on BOTH ends
    4) Dull gold ball ends

There are some poor quality pictures that show the silk and luster of the strings taken with my cell phone here. The camera couldn't get the right focus to show details of the wrapping. My instincts tell me that this is some sort of half/ground/compression-round, but I don't have any experience with those so I do not know for sure. Thanks for any help.

DSC00025.

2. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    are they ghs pressurewounds? Those have an oval outer wrapping, so they are smoother than rounds, but aren't flat on top like grounds. I LOVE those strings on a j bass.

3. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Can anybody verify this? The black silk on both ends should eliminate quite a few contenders.

4. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I emailed GHS with this information and received a response within 24 hours. They agreed, from the limited data given, that the strings are GHS Pressurewound. So I guess I will be buying these strings soon.

5. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Great choice. Gives plenty of punch of rounds, but without the zingyness. I'd use them on my fiver if they made a low B bigger than .120