Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BG Tuners strong enough for EUB ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ESP-LTD, Aug 1, 2003.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have been contemplating building an electric upright-style bass. The painful part to me is the tuners for a real upright cost serious bucks.

Would some Fender-style Grover's be strong enough for a 41" scale? Would I need to mount them sideways (keys facing back) and support the "open" end in a channel so the barrels have support on both ends?

On a slightly different topic, how much of the tone do you feel comes from the scale length? It seems to me that much of the tone would come from the dynamic nature of a highly stressed body.

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I used a set of Gotoh tuners for my EUB. No problems.

[​IMG]

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Pretty!

Thanx for the information.

4. how u make ur bridge, i forgot to make the neck have a angle so i could use a real upright bridge.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have noticed 2 major schools of thought- long, BG-style necks, and traditional Upright style necks.

I like the engineering of the BG-style neck (since that's been my experience) but I see that I need that steep angle across the body to get the steep break across the bridge you mention.

Is there any concensus about bolt-on vs set-neck vs neck-thru designs in EUB? I know it makes a lot of difference in BG's .

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Two differences I've discovered, 1 being functional and the other being aesthetic: 1) on a DB/URB the fingerboard extends/freefloats beyond the neck joint, so as there's less contact with neck->fingerboard (imo) fewer sympathetic vibrations transfer between the two, and more energy is released through the floating fingerboard. This is possibly why there's a very percussive attack on a DB when playing pizzicato. (I'm just guessing). 2) it's a classic vs. modern look.

I made my bridge from a spare block of wenge I wasn't using. The nut/fingerboard/bridge are all radiused, sized, and spaced to traditional DB measurements (3.75" fingerboard radiues iirc). The last 4-5 inches of my fingerboard are gradually tapered flat, rather than radiused. I wanted to make gradient-like transition between the body and the neck.