Bi-amp and crossover newbie - What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlimT, May 27, 2002.

1. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN

I just got a GK 800RB. So far, I've only used it with my 2x12.

I've never used a crossover before, so, I was wondering how you experienced crossover players use yours.

The crossover frequencies available are 100-1000hz, I believe.

I've got the following cabs:

2x10 at 8 ohms
    1x15 at 8 ohms
    2x12 at 4 ohms

So far, all I've been able to find on crossovers is that you want one the has available frequencies below 200hz and that some usually set their's at 125.

With a bi-amp system, where does the punch come from?

What note is 125 hz? (any handy guides on the interenet for frequency to bass notes?)

I'm definitely going to do some experimenting. However, I find it's nice to get some basic understanding before experimenting.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. I bi-amp with two 1x15 subs (soon to be four 1x15) and two 1x10 JBL E110. My crossover is a Rane MX22, the equalizer is a Rane GE30, and the amp is a PLX 3002. All cabs are connected by Speakon 4-conductor cables and the internal wiring is such that all drivers move Outward when a battery voltage is applied. The JBL and Rockford drivers have opposite polarities, which would kill bass response if not properly phased.

My crossover point is chosen for flat response by using a realtime analyzer. You can set it by ear also. My subs don't go much above 200 Hz, so bi-amping is mandatory for me. The E110 are good to 8,000 Hz according to JBL, but they don't seem to measure out quite that high. They are entirely sufficient for all the overtones of electric bass.
  4. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like to Bi-amp at a higher frequency because I use 8" spkrs for the highs and I like to add a touch of chorus and reverb to the high end with the lows effect free. I crossover at 400.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    With my Carvin rig I crossed over at 200 hz.

It definately sounded more true than when I ran the whole thing full range. I flipped back and forth on that issue a lot... but after a lot of testing, I am pretty sure.

Brad is probably right about Carvin speakers, many people here that use the Carvin cabs swap out the speakers for eminence speakers.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    These are all good examples of situations where biamping makes sense.