1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi-amp+GK questions-Thanks!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveD, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    GK has a bi-amp with 700 watts for the lows and 50 watts for the highs. 50 watts seems awful lightweight for the mid to high end to me. Any comments on that or on this amp? What about just getting a power amp with 500-700 watts per side, adding an active crossover, and using my Line 6 Bass Pod for a preamp?

I play stock 4-string Fender Jazz basses. I play medium volume classic rock gigs, but sometimes need pretty high volume for playing outside. I am using an SWR Workingman 4004 amp through Aguilar GS1-12 cab and an Avatar neo 2-10 cab. Though rated at 400 watts into 4 ohms the SWR does not get very loud, even using both cabs. (My ancient Peavy TNT130 with 15 inch BlackWidow gets much louder). The Aguilar has response down to 41 hertz so I was thinking of using it for the lows and the Avatar for mids-highs.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, even if it involves starting over to build a decent rig!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 50 watt amp in GK heads are dedicated to tweeters in GK cabs through the use of speakon cables. With GK cabs this amp sends signals to the tweets solely and gives the GK user that edge. There is no need to turn this up high as you think you would have to because it is separate from the main amp. the tweet amp really shines with the thump and pop (slap) stuff.

3. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    But does the GK bi-amp thing only work well with GK cabs, because I am in similiar situation as OP?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    basically yes. The tweets in the GK cabs are wired separate from the woofers, they can be used in full range also. if you want to use the bi-amp feature with other cabs you must re-wire the tweets in that cab I believe to except the out put of the GK's 4 pin speakon cable. Other amps use a two pin speakon while GK uses a 4 pin like some pa systems use to split the signal.

5. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    I use the 2001RBP(preamp only) and a carvin amp or a POD xt pro with a carvin amp super flexability all around.

6. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks to pyrohr and everyone, very useful information! Any other comments will be most welcome.

7. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    it really isnt a big deal to rewire virtually any cab to accept the GK biamp. heck, you can even use 1/4" jacks if you want (just be careful, lol). i made a biamp cable out of a speakon jack, two lengths of 12AWG cable, and a pair of "big" switchcraft 1/4" jacks for experimentation with my GK. just be sure to CLEARLY label each connector--- accidentally plugging the wrong one into the wrong speaker is almost guaranteed to be catastrophic. remember that the high amp is crossed over at 5khz, which really, is pretty damn high for bass. and the reality of that is that many (or most) woofers have significant rolloff well before 5khz--- the average 15, for example, seems to begin high frequency rolloff between 2-4khz. by design, this creates a "hole" in your biamped "full-range" sound. in fact, i would venture that with some playing styles, one would notice virtually no difference in whether the tweeter was on or not. good for harmonics and a little bite, i guess, or that "plasticky" sound a lot of folks seem to like.
    while this is, by definition, true biamping, it is not nearly as effective as a more traditional biamp setup, with active crossover and a "real" power amp for the high end (and mids).

8. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    You'd be surprised. 50W is PLENTY to power the horn tweeter(s).
    This aspect of the GK is pretty good in that you won't send TOO much power to the horn.
    I wired my SWR Goliath III and Bertha cabs to work with my 700RBII and 1001RBII and always had more than enough power to my horn tweeters.