1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi-Amp, Help Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PauBass, Nov 28, 2006.

1. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    :meh:

I'm a bit lost with all this Bi-Amp thing... I have already searched the Forum but have not found the info I was looking for.

I've got an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro Head and I'm running it through an Ampeg SVT 410 HE cabinet. At the moment I'm using the mono bridge mode but, knowing that this Amp has many other possibilities I wanted to know if:

Is it possible to use the Bi-Amp option of my amp but just with one cab?
    If yes, is it going to make a diiference in the overall sound?

Is it possible to add effects just to one of the Amps and leave the other signal clean in order to keep the bottom end?

What's your opininion and advice on this?

:hyper:

2. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    i THINK...and i'm sure someone will possibly correct / reiterate...

there's no point bi-amping with just one cab? the whole point of bi-amping (meaning 2 cabs) is so you can split highs into a 'full range' cabinet like a 410 and the lows into a 'low range cabinet' like a 115/118. by bi-amping with only one cabinet, you're ONLY going to get the lows or the highs.

with a 410, you might as well mono-bridge it into the cabinet and get the best of both worlds?

EDIT: having seen you're in Brighton, go into GAK and ask them, that's where i got my svt4pro from..

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Biamping does NOT in any way imply two cabs! It implies that different frequency ranges are being reproduced by electrically separate drivers, whether in the same cab or two or more. Look at most high end PA cabs - the tri to quad amp in the same box - no big deal . . . .

Now having said that, with a 4x10, biamping would be meaningless, since all drivers are full range anyhow - where to cross over? With 15's and 10's, or anything to a tweeter, then it starts to make sense - run each driver in it's "sweet" spot . .

- Tim

4. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    The other question I had is if Bi-Amping on the Ampeg SVT 4Pro allows you to add effects just to one amp and keep the other as a clean signal, is this possible?

Tadawson, not sure what do you mean: the cab I've got is a 4 x 10's and also a tweeter included.

:bassist:

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I don't think it will do what you want it to. There is a sweepable crossover that affects the two amp outputs you're using. To do what you're talking about requires separate chains feeding amp inputs.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    you will want another cab to use your amp in bi-amp mode.
    with the x-over, you will send low frequencies to one dedicated cab and everything above your x-over point will go to the dedicated high cab. Your 4x10 has a fixed crossover for the tweeter, no worries there. I'm not sure of the SVT Pro4 config...but if it has two separate preamp outs, then you should be able to route your FX to just the high side leaving your bottom dry. If it has 2 separate FX loops for each side, then that would also be a solution.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    If you used two amps, one to the 10's and one to the tweeter, that would be bi-amping, and is exactly what GK does in their bi-amp system. Just an example of a bi-amp config that lives in one cabinet is all . . . .

The key differentiator between bi-amp and non bi-amp is the presence of a passive crossover (not bi-amp) or an active crossover (bi-amp, tri-amp, whatever . . . . )

- Tim

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Bi amping in general is not very popular anymore as far as bass rigs go. I have tried using it with various rigs and I always end up with a sound that is lacking in the mids and doesn't cut through the band very well. I think bi amping was much more popular when bass cabinets were much more primitive and it was harder to get a lot of lows and highs in one cabinet.

9. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    The 80's...

10. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289623

biamping is not popular but is still usefull if tone flexibility is important. yes with certain setups you can use effects on the top only--see pics in link above--I doubt you can do this w/ your ampeg (I can't w/ my hartke 5000) I also doubt you can bi-amp that 4x10. In the link above the pics show my ampeg pr1528he whish is a single cab specifically designed to run biamp or full range.

Although technically the G-K setup is biamp, I don't think of it as true biamp rather more of a HF driver (horn) control, but I've never had one.