1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi-amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monsterbass, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Right now I am playing through my Ashdown Superfly into an Avatar 2x10 and Avatar 1x12. I was thinking about a bi-amp setup. A friend has a Peavey combo 300 he will sell me. Since that has a built in crossover, I was thinking of using the combo 300 for the lows and the Superfly for the highs with the Avatar 2x10. I like the idea of a 15" inch speaker over a 12" and that the combo is on wheels, making it easier to move at gigs. My question is, does this sound like a good idea? Can I use the DI from the superfly to the board at the same time? :help:

2. Check this out, I think it's essentially the same kind of question, and might involve something like running a line-out from the Superfly into the 300. But, if you use the line-out, do you disable the 'Fly's speaker-out? That would bring the idea to an end.

Here's the question I posted (it starts out, "I have a funny question..."):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452373&highlight=Ashdown+Superfly

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Since both cabs are designed for full-range operation, it probably won't work well.

When bi-amping, you should use subs, mids, etc. The bass speakers you have are all built to cover the same ranges.

4. That's a real point. But Rick, could the Superfly be used in this way if you did have properly designed cabs?

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Does the Superfly have a crossover and two power amps?

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Not necessarily...

I've run a bi-amp through two identical cabs, and it really did produce a better sound. It reduces phasing by making sure the same frequencies aren't coming from two places.

My current cab setup is a regular 15 on the bottom, and a sealed 12" on top. The 12 isn't tuned for high frequencies, but being sealed does less bottom end. Sounds great.

Ian

7. No x-over, but two power amps. And I don't mean really bi-amping- I'm trying to use the power amp on the Superfly, and simultaneously line out from it to another power amp.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021