Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bi-amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, May 25, 2002.

1. Ok.. i've got this question eh..

lets say i've got a 2x350w amp @ 4 ohm..

does this 4 ohm load count PER SIDE or for the total ?

e.g. if i have 2x350w amp @ 4 ohm ( 2x240w @ 8 ohm ) and two 300w 8ohm cabs..

if i hook one cab to channel A and one to channel B.. would they have 350w per cab or 240w per cab ?

2. 240. You'd only get 350 with 2 4 ohm cabs.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You have to think of it as the amp having two independant channels. Each channel is rated 350 into 4 ohms or 240 into 8 ohms. Connecting an 8 ohm cabinet to each will give each cabinet a maximum of 240 watts each.

You could connect a 4 ohm cabinet to one channel and get 350 out of it and at the same time connect an 8 ohm cabinet to the other and get 240..they're independant from one another.

If you're truly bi-amping...i.e the preamp feeding an electronic crossover to split the signal into two frequency bands and then using one amp for lows and one for highs...you'll probably send a lot less power to the high end cabinet (since higher frequencies take less power to be produced at the same SPL).

Does this make any sense?

4. hmm.. so if i want to use, say for example a hartke 7000 in it's full glory.. i'd have to connect 4 175w cabs ?

5. That head is 350 watts per side at 4 ohms/240 watts per side at 8 ohms, so if you use 2 8 ohm cabs per side you'd get 350 per channel. You could use 2 350w 4 ohm cabs as well (thats 1 per channel, 2 total.) Thats in bi-amp mode. I dont know what the bridge specs are on that head. I imagine its 700 watts at 4 ohms.

6. The hartke HA-7000 is not bridgable. If you run 2 8 ohm cabs you can run one on each side at 240 watts each. Or the 2 off the same side wich will be 175 watts each. If you have 2 4 ohm cabs you can run one off each side at 350 watts each.

7. ew.. that sucks.. no thanx.. :(