1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bi-amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, May 25, 2002.

1. Ok.. i've got this question eh..

lets say i've got a 2x350w amp @ 4 ohm..

does this 4 ohm load count PER SIDE or for the total ?

e.g. if i have 2x350w amp @ 4 ohm ( 2x240w @ 8 ohm ) and two 300w 8ohm cabs..

if i hook one cab to channel A and one to channel B.. would they have 350w per cab or 240w per cab ?

2. 240. You'd only get 350 with 2 4 ohm cabs.

3. can you please explain ?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You have to think of it as the amp having two independant channels. Each channel is rated 350 into 4 ohms or 240 into 8 ohms. Connecting an 8 ohm cabinet to each will give each cabinet a maximum of 240 watts each.

You could connect a 4 ohm cabinet to one channel and get 350 out of it and at the same time connect an 8 ohm cabinet to the other and get 240..they're independant from one another.

If you're truly bi-amping...i.e the preamp feeding an electronic crossover to split the signal into two frequency bands and then using one amp for lows and one for highs...you'll probably send a lot less power to the high end cabinet (since higher frequencies take less power to be produced at the same SPL).

Does this make any sense?

5. hmm.. so if i want to use, say for example a hartke 7000 in it's full glory.. i'd have to connect 4 175w cabs ?

6. That head is 350 watts per side at 4 ohms/240 watts per side at 8 ohms, so if you use 2 8 ohm cabs per side you'd get 350 per channel. You could use 2 350w 4 ohm cabs as well (thats 1 per channel, 2 total.) Thats in bi-amp mode. I dont know what the bridge specs are on that head. I imagine its 700 watts at 4 ohms.

7. The hartke HA-7000 is not bridgable. If you run 2 8 ohm cabs you can run one on each side at 240 watts each. Or the 2 off the same side wich will be 175 watts each. If you have 2 4 ohm cabs you can run one off each side at 350 watts each.

8. ew.. that sucks.. no thanx.. :(