Bi Amp related question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Apr 11, 2004.

1. lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    I could use some answers. Noone has really told me exactly what "bi-amping" is. I have read that you can get great results by sending low frequencies to your woofer and the highs to a tweeter... I aim to do just that. I own a Hartke 3500, the matching 4.5xl and have my eye on an SWR Big Ben 18. My head has the two speaker outputs and I've gotten a pretty good sound by using a 15 in conjunction with the that bi-amping? I've spent most of my time learning to play and do not really know much about the gear side of things, any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Hi I will try to explain bi-amping the best that I can

You would want to send a signal from your pre-amp section to a crossover. This device will split the signal to a low pass and a high pass. In other words, you will have two signals comming out, a "bass" signal and a "treble" signal.

Each of these two signals would need a separate power amp section, either two power amps or a stereo power amp.

Connect your larger speaker to the bass signal and the smaller speaker(s) to the treble signal and WWWHHHAAAALLLAAAA! You're bi-amped.

This type of setup increases the efficiency of each power and speaker set, lowering distortion levels, increasing clarity.
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    it's a similar concept to the crossover in your hartke 4.5xl, how the lows go to the 10s and the highs go to the 5" speaker, except it's done in the amp(the lows go to one cab, (like a 15) and the highs go to a seperate cab (10's, etc.)). the amplifier you have isn't capable of bi-amping, unless you did like muzikman suggested and ran a line out to a crossover and so forth. the hartke 7000 is bi-ampable, i believe. it cleans up your sound but it's not for everyone, so listen to it before you go nuts adding more stuff. i'm like the opposite of you- i've spent a good deal of time learning about gear but not enough learning how to play :rolleyes:
  4. I agree with fred that you should listen to the different setups before making a decision on bi-amping. This isn't really a matter of one way being better than the other, and if you like your speakers being run full range than stick with it.

BTW I don't bi-amp.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe the real advantage of a true bi-amp setup is that the high frequency amp tends to be small and helps prevent you from blowing your tweeter. Look at the GK amps, the high frequency amp is only 50W.

I don't biamp either ;) I just keep my tweeter turned down.
  6. [SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    hey musikman i was checking your post reply about bi amping i'm thinking of gettin it i'm my new rig, just wanted to know if you would suggest any crossovers in special? i just checked and i found they are not really expensive, under 200$ almost all of them.
  7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You need not biamp this cab anyway. It is full range, and if you cut the lows off. you would be wasting the rest of the cab's potential. You would be better served with another 4.5xl. I had two, and regter selling them for a 2-15 Eden.
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Bi-amping is either 2 amps & two cabs with separete controls, or a dual mono, or (bi-amp like G-K), and a cab that HAS separate inputs. This application for CROSSOVERS is more for filtering the lows out for the tweeter in a full range cab.
  9. [SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    i ckecked the QSC RMX850 which is an 2 channel stereo power amp and i found that it can work as a stereo power amp connected to a crossover and then to a low range cab and a high range cab.
  10. I don't think it would be worthwile to bi-amp a single cab. There is a built in passive crossover in a cab with different sized speakers. The only time I might suggest bi-amping is if you wanted to dedicate extemely low frequencies to an 18" subwoofer. If you have a good 4x10 cab you don't need to do all that.