Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'bi-amp' system?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bukowski, Apr 23, 2004.

1. bukowski

bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    hey..i recently bought a used Peavey TNT115/BW and im having problems with it. basicly when it gets too loud, the sound will cancel out and if its really loud itll start to skip like a scratched cd until i turn it off..but anyways

i emailed the guy and he said having a 'bi amp' system really helped cause he had had the same problems. he said something about getting a smaller like practice amp and hooking them together or something to help with the lows and such..??

i never really thought about it til i saw bush preform live and th bassist had a little peavey practice amp next to his big amp..whats a bi amp system and hows it work?

also,anyone that may have a diagnosis for my amp trobules?

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    biamping typically involves splitting your signal (with a crossover or some other doohinky) so that the lows go to one amp and the highs go to another, or similar. This was very common in the 70s, since old-style bass gear didn't usually do highs very well (q.v Chris Squire's rig-- SVT for lows, Marshall guitar stack for highs) but is generally less common now since dedicated bass gear has gotten better. Some guys like Doug PInnick or John Paul Jones (and others who play 8/12ver basses) still do it.

It's a different beast from running two amps fullrange ala timmy C, though, but that works too, just gives diff result. :bassist:

3. bukowski

bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    im not very experienced in amps so maybe someone could help..

whats lows and highs? whats the difference and what do they mean?

what are the hertz? what role do those settings play?

how do i set up a bi amp system and would like a small bass amp help my amp handle the sounds since it isnt in the best working condition?

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    This would be very expensive to pull off and prolly more trouble than it's worth. Maybe we should explore your current gear to see what the problem is. What kind of head and cab configuration do you run? Also it would tell me what we have to work with to bi amp something. But Bi-amping it works very well for PA gear when you have vocals, guitars, keys, drums, bass etc. all going through the same system since you are hitting the full spectrum with that equipment. But your bass is usually in the lower registers, what you are describing could be clipping, or a short, could be anything with your current gear.

5. bukowski

bukowski

Apr 18, 2004
    my peavey tnt 115/bw is a combo amp, 150 watts
    my bass is a peavey millenium bxp

i know what i really should do is send it to the amp repair guy the music store down the street sends it to. but they said he charges 65$ an hour just for labor,then add on parts and thats going to be wicked expensive.

the guy i bought the amp from sent me this wheni asked him about the problem i was having:

" i know the problem you're talking about with the
    speaker going kinda nuts at times, happened to me when
    I first got it. I found that turning down the lows a
    bit/playing with a lighter touch tended to stop it.
    Also, never use the punch circuit if you're not using
    a bi-amp system. I used a bi-amp setup with it so it
    never really had any peoblems. If you've got a small
    practice amp (I used a Fender Bassman 25), I suggest
    setting that up to handle the highs and hi-mids
    (>~600hZ). That gives you all sorts of tonal options
    and ususally a louder output."

so i have two options:
    1. spend a lot of money getting it repaired
    2. get another amp try a bi-amp system?

idk,either way money needs to be spent and idk if i get it repaired if itll be loud enough for gigs once i start up a band,it probly should be..?

also..the guy at the music store said i should crank the master volume and keep the gain at 5ish so i dont hurt the speaker..how much truth is in this? can i crank gain and volume and have it work fine? cause right now i can have master volume all the way,and only have the gain at about 4 before it starts going crazy.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think you should save up some money and upgrade your set up if you can afford it. It's farting out because at 150 watts it's really just a little practice amp. It's a 15 right, really muddy I bet. Another power amp is crazy money, you would prolly need a cross over too. By the time your done you could have a kick butt "bass" set up. Like a GKRB400 head and like a GKbackline 4x10 cab would be a huge upgrade. Better yet a GKRB700 head you could grow into. I seen the RB400 for $200-300, the cab about the same. A decent Power amp is $500. A decent cross over $200. Then you need another amp, then maybe an EQ. I would keep the little combo you got to practice, research amps and cabs here in the search field to get an idea, take your time, utilize lay away. I'm not sure this guy from the music store is giving you the best advice. Bi- amping for bass is not practical these days. This is just my suggestions, but the Bi-amping thing i not practical. You did the right thing by starting here and asking. Take your time, do some research, these guys here are great for this kind of thing.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Coupla suggestions. Set the whole EQ dead flat, see if it still does it. V-shaped (mids removed, lows and highs boosted) EQ settings tend to mess with amps sometimes, resutling in farting/speaker damage. The punch thing is garbage, IMO, leave it off. As far as the master volume, if you have to crank it past about 7 you need a bigger amp because the amp's having to work harder for diminishing returns. Diming out a SS amp is bad juju indeed. Set the gain at 5 (halfway up) and let the poweramp (master vol) do the heavy lifting of making you loud. Reason I said don't go past 7 is that you need to leave some "headroom" for occasional louder than normal noises, like accidentally hitting the string way too hard-- if you have no headroom, that's when you get nasty noises from the amp clipping.

IMO your salesman dude there is making things a lot more complex for you than they should be; forget biamping, for now focus on learning your way around one amp at a time.