1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrewThru03, Mar 23, 2004.

  1. BrewThru03


    Jan 21, 2004
    Mentor OH
    I just bought a gallien-krueger 700rb-II and a hartke 4.5 xl series cab. I know that the head has a bi-amp mode but I don't know how to use it. Can I use the bi-amp mode with my hartke cab? All it says in the owners manual for the 700rb-II is that to use bi-amp mode you have to turn on the bi-amp switch on the rbh series cabs, but it doesn't show how to use it with other cabs. Thanks for your help.
  2. Fred312b

    Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    It only works with GK cabs... sorry
  3. seanm

    seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

    Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The simple answer is NO. You either need a bi-ampable cab or two cabs. The bi-amp is literally two amps: a small one for high frequencies and a larger one for low (or normal for basses). You could rewire your hartke to be bi-ampable by bringing out a connection from the high frequency driver. Or you could buy a horn (or other high frequency cab) and connect it along with the hartke.

    Have I confused you yet?
  4. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, what seanm said. A bi-amp is designed to be used with two speakers (or cabs), one for the low frequencies, and one for the high frequencies. If you added another cab, let's say a 15" or 18" speaker on the bottom, you could use your bi-amp capabilities. In that case, you'd plug the 15/18 into the low frequency speaker (output) jack on your amp, and the 4x10 into the high frequency jack.

    Edit: if what Fred312b said is true (and I don't know, I'm not familiar with the specific GK amp you mentioned), then it's possible there's some proprietary wiring of the speaker cable, or the speaker jacks, or both. That doesn't mean it's impossible to use with another manufacturer's cabs, it just means you'll have to find out what the wiring is, and possibly build or purchase a custom speaker cable for your amp and cabs. My guess is that it would most likely be a special kind of "stereo" jack (if there's only one output jack on the amp), in which case it would be very easy to find a matching plug. But, you'll have to get the schematic for your amp to find out for sure, or maybe there's some descriptive information in the user's manual?

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.