Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    i've been doing some research on the gallien-krueger heads, i think im pretty certain now that i will scrap plans to get an ashdown mag stack this summer and instead save up for something a bit better. one question thoug is how the **** this thing of bi-amping works, do you put the bi-amp cable in to the speaker along with a standard 1/4" cable? if this is so does power then get cut going to the tweeter from the main power section and instead the tweeter is powered from the bi-amp section?
    i dont see why companies like GK cant just explain these things in plain english. also what do you guys think i should get a GK 700RB II or an Ampeg SVT3 Pro.

actually this is something very interesting for any europeans here, i looked at the cost of getting a SVT3 pro head over here (Ireland) and the best way to do so would be to buy from a place in england, the cheapest price i could find was £860 (€1283 or $1578) that crazy to pay that, you could buy an ampeg svt3 pro off and ship it over here with a transformer to change power and pay all your taxes and duties for $1284 (€1044 or £700), just keep that in mind for your next purchase.

but anyway back to my problem can anyone help me?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I almost bought a GK, so I had all this explained to me.

To use the GK bi-amp feature you need to have both a GK head, and a GK cab. They will also supply you with a special cable that looks like a speakon but is different inside. The head effectively has 2 seperate power amps, a small one to drive the tweeter, and a larger one to drive the woofer(s). The special cable automatically takes the signal from the appropriate amp and sends it to the appropriate drivers.

Where's Daniel Elliot. He works for GK and he's been known to post here. He can probably explain it better.
  3. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    ok thanks that has explained it perfectly. but gk cabs are a bit out of my price range at the moment and by a bit i mean a lot.
  4. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't get seduced by GK's bi-amp claims. I briefly owned a 1001-II and a 210 and 115 RBH. I tried the cabs full range and bi-amped as well. The difference was VERY slight, in favor of the bi-amp setup. The price you quoted for the Ampeg 3-PRO is very high! The 3-PRO is not very well regarded with the guys and gals of TB. My auditioning of it confirmed the notion that it is underpowered. The Ashdown ABM line has gotten good buzz over here. Is it cost competitive over there with the imported US gear like Ampeg and GK?