1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bi amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mostfoulvillain, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    whats up,im new to talk bass;
    i am playing through a peavey firebass 700 head witch has
    x over outs. i have two cabs 212 and 215;i was wondering what would be a good application for this?

2. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    So you're saying you're bi curious?

Basically, you would run the lows to the 2x15 and the highs to the 2x12. Assuming there's an adjustable crossover frequency, play with that until the sound coming out of both cabs is somewhat balanced and everything sounds good.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The idea with bi-amping a head like that is you would have one speaker cab ideally designed for the highs and another ideally designed for the lows. So like a small tweeter box or guitar cab for the highs, and a big box of woofers for the lows. In most cases if you have two full-range cabs (like the ones you probably have) bi-amping will actually work worse than just running both cabs full range the way they were designed.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ...Except that you run a high risk of blowing the 215 trying to match your usual volume levels, since only a tiny amount of signal will be going to the 212, in a colossal waste of resources.

5. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    thanx guys
    the cabs are seisic audio and were specified for bass;but prob. full range speakers
    i was thinking of designating the 212 for distortion and the 215 for heavy low
    what do you think?

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    How would you even run a clean and dirty channel? does the amp have an effects loop for each channel? I have tried the only way to get it to work is to get a y instrument splitter so you split your signal in to 2 seperate cables then run one of them into your pedals then the other direct into the amp.

7. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    wouldnt i have two amps?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    There are lots of ways of running clean and dirty channels in front of the amp, but from the bi-amp outputs of that head there is no practical way. I'm even tempted to say "no way at all, period" but I can think of at least one complicated, expensive, and impractical way around it. :p

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes if you have two amps then that works fine. It's not "bi-amping" technically, but lots of touring rockers use separate amp/cab rigs for clean and dirty channels.

10. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    i could place my pedal between the hi x over out and the amp?

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Probably not, but can you post a link to the manual, or a pic of the back of the amp, so I can see for sure?

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    When I think of bi amping I think of a 2 channel amp like the ampeg svt 4 pro or the carvin bx1500. or running 2 amps and slaving the second amp from the first amps direct out. problem with this is you cant run pedals inbetween the first amp and out into the second amp.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    putting the pedal before the cab is a great way to fry a pedal. Possibably even fry your head. Its not made to handle so much power.

14. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    thanx for the info;
    i found the compressor info on bongomaia very helpfull
    {i dont know how to post photos or links}-help?

15. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    not befor the cab but before the second head

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  17. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    didnt know that i never tried

18. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    cool i knew it was there im just lazy and wanted opp

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    According to the manual the crossover outputs are line level, not speaker-driving power amp outputs. So YES you can take the output of one of those jacks, run it into an effects pedal and then into a second amp. Or better yet, get a nice all-tube guitar combo amp and run the high output into that, for your dirty channel.

Bear in mind in both cases that the output of that crossover high out will be a lot higher level than a normal bass guitar instrument-level signal, so you'll have to keep those levels in check to avoid crazy-high amounts of distortion. No damage will happen, it will just be extremely distorted. I think the easiest way to avoid that will be to turn the crossover balance knob more toward the LF side, which will reduce the level coming out of the HF (high) side.

20. mostfoulvillain

mostfoulvillain

Dec 15, 2011
    YES INDEED!!