Bi-ampable preamp? G-K 2000RB recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Sep 7, 2000.

1. My Hartke HA5000 has died on me. Hartke is sending me a new one, but I don't trust them anymore. So, I need a new amp.

I'm considering a G-K 2000RB, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about them. Is this head worth the money?

I've been thinking about getting a Crown or Crest power amp and separate preamp, but I have not been able to find a preamp that has bi-amp outputs. Does this even exist?

I'm using an Ampeg Classic 1x15 and 2x10, and I need something that will produce plenty of volume (several clubs around here only use the PA system for vocals) and stay very clean. I definitely prefer a bi-amp setup.

And before it's suggested, I've tried the Ampeg SVT-IV, and I don' like it. Call me a heretic, but I just don't like that preamp section.

Thanks for any help.
  2. TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    In April of '99 I bought a brand new GK 2000RB. LOVED it 'til early March of the following year. It started making popping/crackling noises then severe power loss. I e amiled GK & they offered repair it and bring it up to "current production standards". I sent it UPS the last week of March 2000 & got it BACK June 1st. It worked flawlessly/sounded great/best amp I EVER had....'til last Friday night(Sept.1).
    Halfway through the gig & halfway through a song--it simply went DEAD. I tried turning everything off (it wasn't even hot). When I turned it back on--it made the most obnoxious/scary sounds I've ever heardcome from an amp. When it was working properly--it was great! But, I cannot afford to have this happen to me again. I brought it back to the dealer - after they checked it over, they found serious damage. I don't play in a heavy metal band and my volume was right around the 9:00 position - plenty of volume for what I needed which isn't that loud. I haven't got a clue as to what was wrong with this amp. I'm positive that I was not abusing it. Anybody eles reading this--if you think you might know what was going on--Please let me know!! In conclusion Matt, BEWARE of this amp!!! Good luck to you!
  3. I use a Peavy Probass 1000 which is an old preamp it sounds great is dead quiet and has many! outputs I run a tuner, effects processor, and a output for a midi line, I run just the sub output from the crossover and there is still a ballanced out for the board. this goes into a QSC power amp and a Powered sub. There are many good preamps at high prices. before you go there at least look at Peavy.
  4. I use a Peavey Max pre-amp and a Mackie 1400i power amp (500 w perside @ 4 ohms). The pre-amp has 3 outputs: full range, high and low. There is also a crossover that can be used if you decide to use the high and low outs.

If that what you mean by bi-amp, then the setup above is what you need.

Hope this helps - John
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Eden Navigator has biamp outputs, balanced and unbalanced, and an adjustable crossover freq. I like mine.