1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bi-ampable preamp? G-K 2000RB recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Sep 7, 2000.

1. My Hartke HA5000 has died on me. Hartke is sending me a new one, but I don't trust them anymore. So, I need a new amp.

I'm considering a G-K 2000RB, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about them. Is this head worth the money?

I've been thinking about getting a Crown or Crest power amp and separate preamp, but I have not been able to find a preamp that has bi-amp outputs. Does this even exist?

I'm using an Ampeg Classic 1x15 and 2x10, and I need something that will produce plenty of volume (several clubs around here only use the PA system for vocals) and stay very clean. I definitely prefer a bi-amp setup.

And before it's suggested, I've tried the Ampeg SVT-IV, and I don' like it. Call me a heretic, but I just don't like that preamp section.

Thanks for any help.

2. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Matt!!
    In April of '99 I bought a brand new GK 2000RB. LOVED it 'til early March of the following year. It started making popping/crackling noises then severe power loss. I e amiled GK & they offered repair it and bring it up to "current production standards". I sent it UPS the last week of March 2000 & got it BACK June 1st. It worked flawlessly/sounded great/best amp I EVER had....'til last Friday night(Sept.1).
    Halfway through the gig & halfway through a song--it simply went DEAD. I tried turning everything off (it wasn't even hot). When I turned it back on--it made the most obnoxious/scary sounds I've ever heardcome from an amp. When it was working properly--it was great! But, I cannot afford to have this happen to me again. I brought it back to the dealer - after they checked it over, they found serious damage. I don't play in a heavy metal band and my volume was right around the 9:00 position - plenty of volume for what I needed which isn't that loud. I haven't got a clue as to what was wrong with this amp. I'm positive that I was not abusing it. Anybody eles reading this--if you think you might know what was going on--Please let me know!! In conclusion Matt, BEWARE of this amp!!! Good luck to you!

3. I use a Peavy Probass 1000 which is an old preamp it sounds great is dead quiet and has many! outputs I run a tuner, effects processor, and a output for a midi line, I run just the sub output from the crossover and there is still a ballanced out for the board. this goes into a QSC power amp and a Powered sub. There are many good preamps at high prices. before you go there at least look at Peavy.

4. I use a Peavey Max pre-amp and a Mackie 1400i power amp (500 w perside @ 4 ohms). The pre-amp has 3 outputs: full range, high and low. There is also a crossover that can be used if you decide to use the high and low outs.

If that what you mean by bi-amp, then the setup above is what you need.

Hope this helps - John

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Eden Navigator has biamp outputs, balanced and unbalanced, and an adjustable crossover freq. I like mine.