Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-amped Peavey/Trace Set-up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phaedrus, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Nov 17, 2004
    Dublin
    I currently use a 10-year-old Peavey TNT150BW 1x15 150watt combo, and my drummer has just offered a loan of his Trace BLX80 1x10" 80watt combo.

If I understand the Peavey "manual" (actually a 6-page A4 leaflet...) correctly, I can go from bass into TNT, then use an output from the TNT into the BLX.

Has/does anyone done/do this with the same or similar amps?

I have the expectation that I'll be louder, with better tone range flexibility & headroom.

Is this right, and is it safe?

Does the impedance of either amp have any effect on the other when set up like this?

It's all basically free till I can afford what I want to buy (that's currently a Behringer rig - BX3000T, BA115 & BA210).

Happy Christmas

mark

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It is safe depending on which output from the back of the Peavey you select. What are your options? This would not be called a biamp rig, those require a crossover. I think it would be called a dual mono rig. The tone will be different but I don't think it will be all that much louder.

3. Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Nov 17, 2004
    Dublin
    Thanks for the reply.

There is a section on the front panel of the TNT specifically for bi-amping, with a variable crossover knob.

I'm in work now, without the manual, but if memory serves me right, a line goes from the crossover high on the TNT into the second amp, and another line goes from the crossover low on the TNT to the pwr in on the TNT.

Will the setup described above provide a different tone?

I guess I could just go and cough up the €40 to the shop for the minor repair and collect the TNT. Then I could just hook it up and see if I blow it all up...

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hmm... I didn't know TNTs were that fancy. It sounds like you are remembering the manual correctly and yes it will produce a different tone. Go for it!

5. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I had this setup, and did this.

Good fun. Go for it!

6. Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Nov 17, 2004
    Dublin
    Spent a few hours playing with this set up (at home) over Xmas - after quite a bit of tweaking & thinking, I've got it sounding damn good. Lots of thick tight bottom and real clear cutting highs. I've adjusted the eqs to end up with almost no clipping from either amp, even with plenty of volume, but still keeping the good sound.

I have the gains on both amps at about 9 o'clock, and can play freely with the volumes without clipping.

Can't wait to jam with the band in a couple of weeks...

Thanks for the responses.

Mark