1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bi-amping and guitar combo amps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shroom, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    So I plan to split my signal and run the clean bass into one amp, and the effected bass into another. I've heard of people using guitar amps for this, but I've also heard of guitar amps blowing up when a bass signal was put through them.

As for me, I was hoping to buy a 100 watt guitar combo to accomplish this and use it in a live setting. Could I pull this off, or will I just blow out the speakers?

Also, if this WILL work, could anyone recommend me a decent but cheap guitar combo to use? I was hoping to find a used Marshall MG250DFX for $250 or under, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks TB! :hyper:

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Just turn down the bass knob a bit and you should be fine. Guitar speakers blow for a number of reasons, but cranking a buttload of bottom end would definitely be a big concern if you're running a bass guitar through a guitar combo.

3. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    It's as simple as that, huh? Well thanks for the advice.

I'm still open to suggestions for guitar combos though :D

4. Some times the speakers go as they cone is pushed beyond design.

Cheap guitar amps?

Mid 80s had some great 65, 130 and 160 watt Peavey USA amps.. they went by the names of Bandit, Special and Reknown.. these are all factory with a Scorpion speaker that is rated to go down to 40 hz and carry 200w continous each. You want the model with the aluminum side trim.. Made in USA.. shuld have a number then letter code on the rear mfg sticker.

After gettting off the road and gettting sick of lugging my rackmount stupid hair band rig around, I ran a Reknown 2x12.

Folks never asked if it was a bass amp..

Only complaint I got was that it was too loud

Put an ad out.. you should be able to craigslist any of these amps in your budget range.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  5. ill tell you this.. without processing, a peavey valveking is the most lo-fi tube amp ive ever heard.

i use an aphex exciter to get better low end. this is guitar of course.. but ive put my bass through it with decent results.