Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-Amping or Daisy-Chain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicnoid, Jan 15, 2003.

1. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    well.well confused once again...

i plug into a svp-pro - qsc rmx 2450 (stereo mode-one channel used) - mesa 4x10" (600w@8ohm) setup, and thought about adding a 15" cab...
    but what would be better:

to daisy chain the mesa with an 8ohm 15",or

to run the mesa on one channel (as it is now) ,and a 4ohm 15" on the other...?

i´m just looking for a stable solution,cause i don´t want the sound to get too muddy,even when going fast and hard...

2. I have the same preamp and power amp driving an Eden 210XLT and 115XL.

I don't care much for running different cabinets on the same amp channel - and you've got plenty of amp power. At least on separate channels you can control the volume balance between cabs - and most 2x10" cabs are a fair bit louder than most single 15" cabs.

You might play hell finding a 4 ohm 15" cab, though. Carvin makes one and I think Peavey still does.

3. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    allen: are your cabs both 8 ohms? and can u turn volumes on the rmx beyond 1 o´clock without problems with the cabs ? cause they are 350w & 400w, right?

maybe i should go with an 8ohm 15",as the differences
    in volume aren´t said to be that big (this way i can still bridge the amp and daisy-chain the speakers for an 4ohm load)
    but then again,wouldn´t i overpower a 400w 15" when i turn the rmx up?

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yall correct me if I'm wrong. But I would think, since you already have a 8 Ohm 4x10, then I would just get a nice 8 Ohm 1x15. Daisy-chain them and run it bridged. You get more output from the amp because you are now running a 4 Ohm system. The bridged output will give you more power and of course, the second cab will push more air. Since you've got a powerful amp, you can later even add two more cab's, 8 Ohm each, and daisy-chain those for stereo operation. My opinion is, if you're going to be using multiple cab's go 8 Ohm on each cab.

5. nicnoid, my cabs are both 8 ohm cabs.

And I've never had to turn the thing up past 1 o'clock. If you need to get louder than that you should probably be going through the PA anyway :)

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Try it both ways. But I think amps run easier/cooler on 8 ohm loads.
    I bridged my Eden WT1000 once, and it was way over the top sounding. So I go Bi amp.

I don't like crossing over the signal though. Full range to both is better.

7. I see no reason to go with a 4 ohm 15". I'd get a matching Mesa 15" 8 ohm. I'd try it both ways, dual mono (daisy chain) and bridged mono.

You mentioned bi-amp in your post. To do this you are going to need a x-over. This will devide your bass signal into high and low. You can then send the high to the 4x10 and the low to the 15. This method will allow you to have more control over your tonal balance and will allow for higher volumes before distortion, but, it is a bit more hassle to setup. Many (myself included) don't think it is worth the trouble. Good Luck :D

8. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    well, i think with a 8Ohm 15" as an addition, i´d have some possibilities to try out...one should do it,i hope...
    seems now all i can do is go & try out some 15"´s...
    i will for sure take a look at the epifani t115...
    looks interesting, but i actually have never heard one...
    Thanks you Guys for helping me out!

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My rig...
    Ampeg SVP Pro >
    QSC RMX-2450 >
    Ch 1 --- BagEnd S15D-B (8 ohm, 200w, 115)
    Ch 2 --- BagEnd D10B-D (4ohm, 400w, 210)

If I were to link them together I wouldn't be able to balance the two cabs.

10. Yup.®