Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-amping query (does this sound a good idea?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MatW, Jan 21, 2005.

1. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi all,

Firstly here's my current gear:

Ashdown ABM300 head
    Ashdown MINI 4*8 cab
    Ashdown MINI 1*15 cab
    BOSS GT-6B Multi Effects

The problem: This is a lovely rig and on the whole I'm very happy in most of my live situations. However, I'm playing in an increasingly loud rock band. The rig has plenty of 'oomph' but I'd like to be able to cut through AND keep plenty of bottom end. I'm not sure EQ tweaking alone is the answer? I'm also bringing more effects into the mix and would like to keep the low end bass seperate from a toppy end with effects on it.

I have been considering buying a Billy Sheehan Attitude bass and using the seperate pickup/outputs to achieve this by buying another amp head. Alternatively, I've also considering modifying, say, a Jazz bass so each pickup has its own output for the above reason..

I don't mind the above but then I started to think could I use my amp to achieve the same result without a custom bass? How about buying another Ashdown head, keep the 1st head for the 'top' end, run the FX through the FX loop, then send the lineout to the new head for the bass? Does the lineout only contain the 'dry' signal? There's also a SUB out on the ABM, again this sounds perfect to go into a powered woofer but I suspect this signal contains the effects, which I don't want?

I hope I'm making this clear? Anyway, I'd love to hear your opinions on this. Also, is what I'm proposing a good idea? Do any of you use similar set ups?

All the best

Matthew

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    generally the line out is post effects return so it would be "wet"
    if you sent the effects send or the 1st amp to your effects unit and then sent it to the second amp, and you didn't plug anythign into the effects return of the 1st amp you would be able to have amp 1 dry and amp 2 wet.

if i was going to use 2 amps to eq differently for different cabs (and i have) i would plug my bass into amp #1, run a cord from the "tuner out" of amp #1 into the front input of amp #2. then i would eq each amp differently and maybe use effects on the eights. hopefully your amp has a tuner out. those are generally completely unaffected by the amp so no eq makes its way into it. Your other alternative would be to get am A/B/Y box so you could send your bass signal to the two different amps .