Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-amping Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matteran, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    My Crate BT350 has bi-amping capability, and I'm really looking into getting a 2x12. However, my 4x10 is 4ohms, so I've been kinda upset that i'll have to sell the 4x10, just to buy the same cab, but in an 8ohm version. However, I came upon an idea.

Say, I buy a poweramp that runs at 350watts at 8ohms (500watts at 4ohms?). With the Crate (this might be the same for all amps, i'm not sure), when you Bi-amp, one of the amps will handle the low frequencies, and one will handle the high frequencies. And you can adjust the frequency cutoff, and all that good stuff.

Okay, so can I keep the 4ohm 4x10, and power it with the crate, and then buy an 8ohm 2x12, and power that with the seperate power amp?

I understand the whole ohm issue when running two cabs into the same amp, but since they're different amps, they are independant from eachother right?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm assuming that your crate is a mono head that can only go down to 4 ohms. and i'm assuming that when you say it's bi-amp capable that it has a crossover in it and has outputs for the high and low signals, and that it probably has an input for the poweamp section so you can plug either the high or low output back into the crate and send the other signal to another amp. Hopefully your crate also has a line out or preamp out, or maybe a post eq effects send jack.

yes, when using the crate and another amp the speakers connected to the 2 different amps do not interact at all so you can use that 4 ohm 410 and whatever other cab you want. there arent a lot of mono poweramps out there so you're probably going to need to buy a stereo poweramp or another head that has a poweramp input so you can run a signal from the crate (high/low/line out/preapmp out/or effects send )to it. In my experience, 90% of the time you're going to like the sound of two cabinets run full range rather than biamped. 4x10 bass cabinets sound anemic when they just get "highs". If the crate has a full range output (line/preamp/post eq effects send) i would try sending that to the other amp with the 2x12 and keep the 4x10 running off of the crate full range also.

Alternately, you might want to think about getting a stereo head or a preamp/poweramp combination. That way you aren't so limited.

3. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    all of your assumptions on the crate are correct.

So, i can send the line-out or the effects loop signal to a poweramp? Instead of bi-amping? I get what you're saying about having both cabs recieve the full range.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Are you sure bi-amping is really worth it? For several years, I ran a bi-amped rig, and struggled with a lack of midrange. I would have argued to ANYONE that bi-amping was superior.

Later, when I ran full range just on a whim, I had my midrange back, and much more perceived power. I never bi-amped again. Frankly, I think its highly overrated for bass amplification purposes, and should be left for the PA . . .

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes, yes you can.

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I was considering biamping myself, I have a Goliath Senior but the frequency response listed on the SWR website was...
    -3dB @ 55Hz and 14KHz
    I was considering buying an Epifani 2x12 to be a smaller stand alone and biampable to cover the low ranges...
    40hz - 16khz
    I don't think I would lose midrange playing through a 2x12 & a 6x10. Would there be a great benefit of low end by adding a cab through biamp that can go down to 40hz vs playing full range out of my Goliath Senior alone with a low of 55hz?
    Or maybe I'm just overrating the frequency response stats,
    Thanks Ivan for throwing me all off!
    :scowl:

7. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    okay, well, i really like the pre-amp on my crate, so i think for now, i'll buy a cab, and a poweramp, and just run the two poweramps seperate.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    biamping doesn't stink. in fact, it's a very good idea to do it in pa applications, and many proffessional systems for large venues are quadamped. However, in these situations, the cabinets used are optimized for exactly the frequency ranges being put in them. bass guitar cabinets are designed to cover a wide range of frequencies. I tried biamping a number of different cabinet configurations vs using them full range, and in every case the full range setup sounded louder and fuller. More lows, mids, and highs were apparent running full range. Using a 410 bass cabinet for just the high end is like getting cable or dsl internet with a 386 PC.