Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Astroman, May 22, 2002.

1. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Gear: Stewart 1.2 amp
    Avalon U-5 pre-amp/direct box
    Bergantino 2x12 - rated 600 watts @ 4 ohms
    Genz Benz 4x10 XB - rated 500 watts @ 4 ohms
    I usually power one cab or the other, but I just joined a loud band and have found that I can use both cabs. But when I run amp bridged to cab and tap off to another, the amp starts to cut out.
    Am I dropping impedance too low? Do I need to turn down power output?
    I thought about tapping off each side of the Stewart. It is actually two 600 watt amps on either side. But my Avalon pre-amp only has one XLR output, so how do I split signal to each side of the amp? A crossover? Or what's the best way to power both cabs?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated to help me utilize both cabs for maximum efficiency and great tone... I'd rather have that than just a big loud rig!
  2. I'm not exactly the most knowlegeable person in this area, but I'll give what I've gathered...Here goes....If you were to run one of the cabs from each channel, wouldn't than give you almost max power?And wouldn't that solve the cutting out @ the 2Ohm load....My coupl'a pennies

:::EDIT:::An A/B/Y box would work, with an XLR to 1/4" adapter
  3. The Stewart 1.2 isn't designed to handle 2ohm loads. You'll either have to biamp or split the signal from your preamp with a Y connector to each side of the Stewart.
  4. The other thing to check is speaker phasing because of two different manufacturers. Make up a test cable you can plug into either cab, and use a battery to move the cones.

If the Bergs move forward and the Genz move backwards you are killing your bass response.
  5. The 1.2 is not designed to run at 2 ohm loads in bridge mode! Doing that is very scary. The amp tries to develop more power than the circuitry and power supply can handle and it overheats. The protection circuit will usually catch it and shut the amp down but overheating the amp will eventually cause a failure. What you need to do is get an XLR Y-Splitter. Female to 2 males. Run one cabinet off one channel and the other off the other.