Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-amping (whoa!) question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Apr 22, 2003.

1. I just set up a rig yesterday: SWR Grand Prix into a dbx 233 crossover feeding a Stewart 1.2 for the highs, a Crown CE1000 for the lows (both running bridged mono - 1600w of power!)

Whoa! It kills!

My question to you bi-ampers, where do you cross over? I had mine at about 500 Hz...stopped all that low information from overloading my 10's.

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i biamp w/ a hartke 5000 into a ampeg pr1528he--1x15 on the low, 2x8 w/ horn on the high. I set my x-over about 200hz--this was reccomended either in the hartke or ampeg manual--it also has a pan control between the hi and lo--useful feature to "fine tune" your tone quickly--especially useful w/ effects.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a Hartke 5000 w 1x15 and 2x10. I cross over at 250 hz, and boost the low pass about 2db.

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX

What kind of cabinets do you have?

The crossover point depends a lot on the frequency response of the cabinets. You can just play with it somewhat, but you'll want to stay within certain ranges, i.e. not feeding too much of your highs to the sub or too much of your lows to your high cab. Crossover too high and you'll lose midrange due to the low cab not being able to reproduce the higher frequencies; crossover too low and you'll limit your volume based on the high cab farting out on the lows.

5. reason I went w/bi-amping is because my 10s were 'farting out' due to the lows...it still does if I run full-range w/just the Stewart and push it hard (my 'small' rig :D ).

I have an Eden D115T and a 210....I think it is the D series too...only one vent instead of two. I have replaced the drivers w/Carvins (can handle more power, 2-200w 10's and a 400w 15).

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Once upon a time when I bi-amped......I x-overed at about 100 hz, but I used a 18 for the Low end.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Hmmmm.........since your using a 15 instead of an 18 for lows, your crossover point isn't going to be as critical; the 15 will probably put out into the midrange with no problem, so I'd just set the crossover according to what sounds best to your ears. Depends on which cab sounds best for your midrange - crossover higher and you send more mids to the 15, crossover lower and you send more mids to the 2x10.

You should be able to set the crossover a lot lower than 500hz and still keep your 2x10 from farting.....that's pulling ALL the lows out of that cab.....

8. The times that I have bi-amped I used a Hartke 4.5 xl with a 1x15 xl and I x-over at around 80 HZ.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I run my 2x10 and 1x18 biamped.... 180hz crossover. 18 gets the meat of my tone, but the 2x10 gets most of the actual tone as opposed to BOOM BOOOM! :D

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmmm....... from what i can tell, the the power rating is the only spec you considered before deciding which speakers to transplant. I know it's too late now, but do you have the specs for the carvin drivers handy? I just want to see if the cab volume and porting is in alignment.