Bi-amping with a guitar rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishsticks, Aug 20, 2009.

1. i have my monster Peavey rig. i have monster Mesa dual rec rig.

i think i want to bi amp the two rigs together.

My bass head has a built in crossover(mark VI)

what frequency range should i send as the highs to the guitar rig?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well first neither of the cabs you are using are really meant for biamping in the classic sense.

i'd use your bass rig full range (you can do that) and send the highs to the guitar amp. experiment with the freq. i think the mIV went from 125 hz to 1.5K ish? I'd start at oh, 250 maybe. just enough to take some of the lows that may damage your guitar speakers out of the signal.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Start at 200hz and go up from there, and like Ivan says, use full range for the bass cab.

4. looks like the crossover starts @ 200 hz. i guess i will leave it wide open and see what it sounds like.

5. hmm.. i did not like the way that sounded at all :(

i was going for a guitar and bass together kind of sound... what if i added a hog or a pog before the guitar rig to thicken up the sound? any other suggestions?

6. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    You should really look at PA cabs for a fullrange sound. Or check out the Greenboy fEarful 15/6 or Barfaced Bass Big One if you're in Europe.

7. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Are you trying for a distorted/overdriven sound on the guitar amp?

8. yes, i would like to switch between an over driven channel and a distorted high gain channel. i think i will use the clean channel as a muted channel(for just bass rig sound)

anyone ever listen to big business?

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I've tried this experiment- not so great. Though a tube amp through a bass cab makes a nice practice rig if you like tons and tons of crystaline upper mids/highs.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think a micro pog is pretty much the best suited for this kind of setup.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021