Bi-amping with just one Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Is it possible to Bi-amp with just one amp?
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In a strictly technical sense, no. Biamping requires two power amps running different frequencies.

However you CAN biamp with a single stereo amp, because stereo amps are indeed two seperate poweramps. The Ampeg SVT4 Pro is a good example. Its a stereo head (2x600 watts @ 2ohms) that also has an onboard biamp feature and crossover.
  3. Has Crossover filter something to do with Bi-amping?
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, but not necessarily. If you biamp sub + mid&high-frequency drivers, then you'll need low-pass and hi-pass filters.
    You can also just use the two rigs full-range, as its two amps it's still bi-amping ;)
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The crossover is what divides the high and low parts of the signal and sends them to different amps.

Biamp heads have the crossover build in. You can also run through a seperate crossover and into a stereo power amp.
  6. But if I have crossfilt, and 2 cabs, can I send low freq to one cab and high to the other one?
  7. No. "Bi" means two.
  8. Only for amps, not girls. :D
  9. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    You got a stereo head, right? You can DEFINATELY biamp with a stereo head! NO PROB! What you got is two heads that have the disadvantage of being in the same cabinet and sharing inputs. If you have (and you should) pre-outs and ins for each channel .....hold on, who said he had a stereo head? Looking back that was in a reply! My bad!
    Tash, Tash, Tash! You confuse an old man.
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its not the heat, its the senility :)