Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-Amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Jan 23, 2001.

1. I just want to be sure if i'm right. I have a 2x10 cab and i'm buying a 1x15 soon. If I bi-amp, i should send the lows through the 1x15 and the highs through the 2x10...right???

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    That's what most people do.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In addition to Phat Ham, you will probably also find your crossover setting will change, too, assunming the Yorkville has one.

4. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    Can someone explain to me what bi-amping is exactly? I've heard the term used a lot but I don't know what it means. Do you use 2 amps? An A/B switch? Do you need a special type of amp to do it? What is the purpose? Does it sound better than just using two cabinets in parallel from the speaker outputs on my amp?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Long answer:

Relman, we have the same amp. In addition, until very recently I also had a Yorkville 210B that I used with a Yorkville 115BX (which I still have, loaded with a 400w EV 15). So, basically almost the exact setup you're talking about.

Biamping might be useful if:
    the 210B couldn't handle the low end or;
    you're getting a 15 with drastically different efficiency or;
    you're bored.

IME the only thing you'll really gain by biamping is having to have another amp in addition to the AMP BH-420. It does have a crossover so you won't need another crossover but the amp can only drive the high or low channel of a biamp rig, not both at the same time. The amp sounds great full range IMO. I did try running it in a biamp setup and it was just more work to get the same sound.

I was never able to make my 210B break up on the low end, even with some pretty serious B strings. It matched up very well with a couple of 15 cabs I had, adding something the 15's didn't have while the 15's added something the 210B didn't have. My only gripe with the 210B would be that the horn was kind of hot and you don't have a variable control like an Eden, just a two position slide switch.

If you do, generally speaking send the lows to the 15 and the highs to the 210. But there are other ways to do this, too. Run the lows to the 15 and run the 210 full range. Or run the 15 full range and run highs to the 210. You have several options. One other advantage of biamping is the ability to run an effect on one side without affecting the other, like running distortion on the highs and leaving the lows clean.

Biamp will require at least a two channel amp or two mono amps.

Short answer: Yes (but you probably don't need to biamp).:D

6. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i bi-amp because i run fx through my 410 so my wah and other fx wont distort the really low bass. i love this setup but i have a carvin r1000 head so it's super easy to set up