Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bish42, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Can anyone tell me anything about bi-amping?

Basics - how it works. advantages, disadvantages? What equipment is required etc.

Thanks.

Bish

2. In theory, you get less harmonic distortion because speakers are reproducing a limited range of frequencies.

In practice, you need to haul around extra gear -
    two speaker cabinets at a minimum.

The sound might also not "cut through" a loud mix as well. That's been my experience, anyway.

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Biamping usually involves using Two poweramps (or a Stereo Amp) with each poweramp powering a separate speaker. Typically the signal is split by a crossover with the lows sent to one amp and Highs to another.

Bass -> Preamp -> Crossover
    Crossover High Out -> Amp 1 -> Speaker 1
    Crossover Low Out --> Amp 2 -> Speaker 2

Most Bass players using a Biamp Rig will use smaller speakers for the Mids/Highs - such as a 2x10 or 4x10. The Lows are usually sent to larger speakers such as 1x18, 2x15 or 1x15. I have also seen it effective when splitting 2 4x10 cabs.

The advantage to a Biamp setup is that one can usually get a louder, cleaner tone by only sending certain frequencies to each speaker using the same amount of power.
    If the Deep Lows are distorting/clipping on a low note, the Mids/Highs are unaffected.

Example using my setup:
    I split my signal using a crossover at 75Hz with the Highs going to a 4x10 and the lows going to a 1x18.
    Since the 4x10 has all the lows cut, I can crank it without any distortion.
    The 1x18 is also "punchier" as everything over 75hz is cut out - and can be cranked louder than if I was running it full range - 18s tend to sound muddy with a low-mid hump when used with a full range signal.

Most "Bass Guitar" cabs are not really full range cabs and can not accurately reproduce the deep lows that a Bass can produce. Most do not give a flat response down to the 31Hz low B on a 5 string.