1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bish42, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Can anyone tell me anything about bi-amping?

Basics - how it works. advantages, disadvantages? What equipment is required etc.

Thanks.

Bish

2. In theory, you get less harmonic distortion because speakers are reproducing a limited range of frequencies.

In practice, you need to haul around extra gear -
    two speaker cabinets at a minimum.

The sound might also not "cut through" a loud mix as well. That's been my experience, anyway.

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Biamping usually involves using Two poweramps (or a Stereo Amp) with each poweramp powering a separate speaker. Typically the signal is split by a crossover with the lows sent to one amp and Highs to another.

Bass -> Preamp -> Crossover
    Crossover High Out -> Amp 1 -> Speaker 1
    Crossover Low Out --> Amp 2 -> Speaker 2

Most Bass players using a Biamp Rig will use smaller speakers for the Mids/Highs - such as a 2x10 or 4x10. The Lows are usually sent to larger speakers such as 1x18, 2x15 or 1x15. I have also seen it effective when splitting 2 4x10 cabs.

The advantage to a Biamp setup is that one can usually get a louder, cleaner tone by only sending certain frequencies to each speaker using the same amount of power.
    If the Deep Lows are distorting/clipping on a low note, the Mids/Highs are unaffected.

Example using my setup:
    I split my signal using a crossover at 75Hz with the Highs going to a 4x10 and the lows going to a 1x18.
    Since the 4x10 has all the lows cut, I can crank it without any distortion.
    The 1x18 is also "punchier" as everything over 75hz is cut out - and can be cranked louder than if I was running it full range - 18s tend to sound muddy with a low-mid hump when used with a full range signal.

Most "Bass Guitar" cabs are not really full range cabs and can not accurately reproduce the deep lows that a Bass can produce. Most do not give a flat response down to the 31Hz low B on a 5 string.