1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bi-Amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lburton2, Jul 21, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    So.. I'm thinking out loud about possibly running a bi-amp setup. I know a guy in town who builds PAs and enclosures.. So I was considering running a 15" or 18" sub w/some mid drivers and using 6"s instead of a tweeter (I hate the sound of tweeters). He will probably be able to work out putting all of this in a single enclosure.. Similar to an ampeg i've seen a while back that looked a lot like this.. So.. What are your guys' comments?

I'm currently running through a 410, and if i'm on a big stage, it sounds amazing, but if i'm not at least 15 feet away, The thing only hits me at the knees with sound and it's hard to hear myself as well.. Thoughts? :bag:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I do all the time using 212's and a 6 with an 800rb, works out great.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    It sounds to me like you're looking for something very similar to a fEARful 15/6.
    If that's the case, the design work is already done. Just download the plans and start building. http://greenboy.us/fEARful/

4. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    i was actually looking into that.. The thing is, i'm also contemplating doing something like a vertical stack or tilt back to make sure that the speakers are facing my ears and not my knees

5. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Maybe put something like this on the bottom of the cab?
    http://www.speakerhardware.com/folding-cab-leg.php

I stack 2 fEARful 12/6 cabs when I need a lot of stage volume. Pretty much the same "sound" and sensitivity of a 15/6, but taller. Plus it's easier to pack in my car.

Also: A small diameter mid driver will disperse the mids over a wider area than a 4x10 or 15, so you might not need to raise or tilt the cab. Using a single 12/6, I've only needed to tilt it in cramped situations where I'm standing almost against it.

6. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    how much did it cost you for the 12/6 kit?

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    There weren't any kits when I built the first one. I ordered individual parts and built it from scratch. By using some stuff I had on hand, I built it for ~$300-350. But the 3012LF driver has gone up about $100 since then.
    I build the second one for about the same (also before the neo price jump). It was a test of the flatpack deluxe kit from Speaker Hardware, but was discounted because of something I'd facilitated between Leland and greenboy.
    I'm told that if you cut your own wood, do everything yourself and don't go overboard on cosmetics and/or hardware, a 12/6 can be built today for around $450.

8. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Ok. I appreciate the input. It's looking like a good option

9. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Register at greenboy's forum: http://greenboy.us/forum/index.php
    Lots of very helpful people there who can answer questions and share experience.

There are several fEARfu users and an Authorized Builder in Michigan if you want to check one out.